Lezzo's Eagle Message Board

Feel free to post comments, complaints, marriage proposals, etc. Please note that this message board is NOT moderated. Messages posted appear "as they come" with an obvious profanity filter. Please bear this in mind when reading messages. This message board is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, The Eagle 93.9, KSSZ-FM or Zimmer Radio Goup.

Lezzo's Eagle Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
best and worst presidents

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/silveira49.html

But what I want to know is...what really happened to the Australian president who disappeared at the beach?

Re: Welcome Eagle Users

Prime Minister Harold Holt, an avid skin diver was doing a weekend dive with friends at Cheviot Beach in the state of Victoria in December 1967. It is presumed the rough seas forced him into rocks in the area and he was knocked unconscious and drowned. His body was never found and was presumed swept out to sea making him the 3rd PM to die whilst in office. Now here's a country that knows how to treat its politicians.

However, conspiracy theorists inhabit Australia in abundance and there are plenty who firmly believe all sorts of conjecture from staging his own disappearance because of the stresses of the office to being picked up by a Chinese submarine (the Chinese have denied it). It gave birth to the Aussie phrase "Doing a Holt", meaning to disappear with no explanation (usually occurs when there is an unpleasant job to be done).

Interestingly enough an enquiry into Mr Holt's death was finally announced late last year. What it matters now is beyond me. (Story is here)

disappearing PM

I remember hearing that a great white shark got him as he was wading on the beach.

Re: Disappearing PM

No, that was former Prime Minister Gough Whitlam who was taken by a shark called John Kerr.