OraMedia - Dental Self Sufficiency Forum

Greetings!

I've moved the discussion from the original Yahoo Groups to this location in order to attempt the categorization of discussion a little better.
    The purpose of the OraMedia site was to disseminate the works of Dr. Robert O. Nara (DDS)( see 'Freedom from Dental Disease' ).  It would be best to become acquainted with some of his work and points of view on oral health before getting involved here.  In addition, Dr. Nara wrote a couple of very popular books on the subject, 'Money by the Mouthful' and 'How to Become Dentally Self Sufficient.'
    At the very least, please read 'The 7 Factors Transcript,' which covers the 7 factors or principles Dr. Nara set up as guides for keeping our teeth healthy for life.  This is a transcript of the last speech he gave with the National Health Federation in San Francisco, 1986, and covers the following:

1.    Nutrition
2.    Frame of Reference
3.    Options
4.    Knowledge
5.    Understanding the biological balance
6.    Taking Action
7.    Money

The discussions, therefore, will be broken down into those categories, so if you are going to write about Vitamin D, as it relates to oral health, then post in the 'Nutrition' Subject thread and so on.
    This interface has a search function, so you are encouraged to use it, as time goes by, to see if your question to the group has already been covered.  If you want to view the subjects in a given category, click on "Switch to Threaded Style" just below here.

Thank you,
Tom Cornwell
Administrator

OraMedia - Dental Self Sufficiency Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Options

This thread will cover Factor #3, Options.
Dr. Nara touches briefly on this here (from 'The 7 Factors Transcript'):

"Point number three: Now that we’ve talked about nutrition and changing your frame of reference; point number three, that I would like to have you consider for a few moments is this: what are the options? Know matter what it is that I’m doing in life these days, if I run into some kind of a difficult situation, my car won’t run or… whatever. I start to ask myself what are the options, what are the choices that I have. Well, I can walk or I can call the car dealer to come and pick it up…what are the choices that we have? Now, thinking about dental health and other aspects of health too, not only dental, what are our choices? OK, well the first choice is we can continue to think the old way, can’t we? That’s a choice. What’s that going to get us? You already know the answer to that. OK? Or we can choose to think in a new way. Now, if you choose to think in a new way, you’re already well on your way to achieving a mouth that may stay so healthy that you can kiss your dentist goodbye forever. OK? And it’s very possible.

People chuckle at times and I use a little analogy, I say, “Look, you know, there’re all kinds of people that are born, live and die and never see a psychiatrist. OK, they don’t run down every six months to get their brains cleaned and checked. They manage to live for a whole lifetime without seeing a psychiatrist. Now, it’s my belief that people could easily live for an entire lifetime without ever going to see a dentist.” In fact, if you checked carefully some of these studies that have been done that show that if you take a group of people that go to the dentist religiously every six months, match them to a group of people that go hit and miss or not at all, there’s one basic difference. The ones that don’t go or hit and miss, have more teeth in their mouths. That’s a fact. It’s a scientific fact. The people don’t pull the teeth out themselves, at least not permanent teeth. So, be very careful, because the more frequently you go to the dentist -- you can put it on a graph -- the fewer teeth you probably will have. So, if you want to think in a new way, then the first thing to do, as far as I’m concerned, is to gain some knowledge.

If you have any dental benefits, by the way, at work, one of the new ways to think here, in my opinion, is to think along the lines of: instead of having your employer pay those premiums on those dental policies, go to the employer and ask him to pay you. OK? The employer shouldn’t really care whom he pays the money to. If it costs him X number of dollars per year for dental benefits for you, should the employer care whether he pays you or some insurance company? OK, so ask him for the money. Then go follow the program like Oramedics and in a lifetime, I can put this on a graph for you, in a lifetime, you can save enough money to retire on. Just from dental benefits alone. Then if you take the same sort of thinking about health care, medical insurance, and take that money too, and take good care of yourself and go out and buy a major medical policy with a big deductible, OK, so that if some drastic thing happens to you, you can’t imagine how much money you can save in a lifetime especially if you put it in a CD or something where it earns interest at today’s rate at ten per cent. You know that doubles every seven years and all of a sudden by the time you’re 40 or 50 years old, if you start young, you’ve got enough money to retire on. Just from medical and dental benefits. Not only that, but you’re going to be healthy and live longer. I mean how many benefits do you need?

OK, what are the options? It’s think the old way, think the new way and take charge of your own dental destiny. I mean you’re the people with the teeth and the money. You know, the dentist works for you. The dentist, you know, he’s your employee. Don’t be pushed around by the dentist. When the dentist says, well, I’m going to do this or that, ask him why, or her. Why are you doing this? I don’t quite understand this and if they’re not willing to sit down and talk to you and explain and quote fees and tell you what the side effects are and explain the anesthetics or whatever else is going to happen in that office, leave. Go find a dentist who will. And dentists are getting very hungry today by the way, there’s a shortage of patients; there’s way too many dentists and not enough people coming to their offices. However, another important piece of data which you might like to know is this: that according to Health and Human Services two-thirds of all Americans have unmet dental needs in their mouths. So this means that it’s not that dentists really are not busy enough, the people just aren’t going. At least two-thirds of them just simply are not going and you know the reasons: pain, fear, money. OK. But if the dentists’ only reach the public with the idea, “Hey, you know, if you do get them fixed, they’ll stay fixed. You don’t have to go back in six months and have more cavities or have that tooth reamed or root canal underneath the crown and the all the rest of the things that they talk about.”"