OraMedia - Dental Self Sufficiency Forum

Greetings!

I've moved the discussion from the original Yahoo Groups to this location in order to attempt the categorization of discussion a little better.
    The purpose of the OraMedia site was to disseminate the works of Dr. Robert O. Nara (DDS)( see 'Freedom from Dental Disease' ).  It would be best to become acquainted with some of his work and points of view on oral health before getting involved here.  In addition, Dr. Nara wrote a couple of very popular books on the subject, 'Money by the Mouthful' and 'How to Become Dentally Self Sufficient.'
    At the very least, please read 'The 7 Factors Transcript,' which covers the 7 factors or principles Dr. Nara set up as guides for keeping our teeth healthy for life.  This is a transcript of the last speech he gave with the National Health Federation in San Francisco, 1986, and covers the following:

1.    Nutrition
2.    Frame of Reference
3.    Options
4.    Knowledge
5.    Understanding the biological balance
6.    Taking Action
7.    Money

The discussions, therefore, will be broken down into those categories, so if you are going to write about Vitamin D, as it relates to oral health, then post in the 'Nutrition' Subject thread and so on.
    This interface has a search function, so you are encouraged to use it, as time goes by, to see if your question to the group has already been covered.  If you want to view the subjects in a given category, click on "Switch to Threaded Style" just below here.

Thank you,
Tom Cornwell
Administrator

OraMedia - Dental Self Sufficiency Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Frame of Reference (the paradigm shift)

This thread will cover Factor #2, Frame of Reference.
Dr. Nara touches briefly on this here (from 'The 7 Factors Transcript'):

"Now the next thing that you have to pay close attention to is what I call ‘frame of reference.’ Now we’re all taped to a degree. We get confused in life because someone has told us that something is true when in reality maybe it’s not true. I like to call it the ‘frame of reference.’ I’m going to ask you a question. If you were interested in purchasing a toothbrush and you went to a drugstore to try to buy this toothbrush, but since birth you could not speak and also you were deaf, but you’re in this drugstore now and you want to buy a toothbrush. Now, you can look around, but you can’t see the toothbrush section and you’re in a little bit of a hurry, so a clerk comes by or the pharmacist is there and you would like to relate to that person that you would like to buy a toothbrush. What would you do? Draw a picture, pretend like you’re brushing and obviously they would know what you were looking for.

OK, now, I want you to pretend that you’re trying to buy a comb and you are a blind person. What would you do then? Well, if you were blind, see, you could merely ask for it. You could say, “I would like to buy a comb.” Now, the frame of reference that your mind set, you see, was that you’re going to have to pantomime, because that’s what you expected to have to do. Now if you expected that you have to see a dentist every six months and you have to brush your teeth twice a day and you can’t eat sweets and somehow or other that’s going to have you have healthy teeth, you are sorrowfully mistaken; because those three methods really have very little and in fact, practically nothing to do with you keeping your teeth healthy for a lifetime.

There are all kinds of research studies that show that seeing the dentist twice a year doesn’t lower the incidence of dental disease. OK, it’s not a preventive thing at all. If you go there and have your teeth scraped, x-rays taken and a few other things, that’s really not a preventive service, it’s preventing nothing. It may be catching up with all of the bad things that have happened, but it prevents nothing. In fact, Health and Human Services data shows that at age 65, blacks and whites in this country have the same number of missing teeth. At age 65, however, the white segment has about seven times more fillings than the blacks and across the board spends about 20 times more money in a lifetime. But at 65 they have the same number of missing teeth, what does that tell you? That means that they’re not getting a whole lot for their 20-times-more-money and those seven-times-more-fillings -- really don’t keep those teeth lasting any longer. This isn’t your fault, by the way. This is the fault of the dental profession.

A while back I was reading the Wall Street Journal one day and I came across this article and they were quoting an Executive Director of the American Dental Association and the gentleman, a dentist, said, “It’s usually impossible to remove all plaque by flossing or other methods, and even if it were, most people wouldn’t be likely to follow a rigid daily plaque removal routine. The perfection that would be ideal is impossible to achieve,” he says. Now, I couldn’t believe that a dentist would write that. Especially be quoted in a national newspaper. So, I wrote to him and I asked him if, in reality he had been quoted correctly, and I got a prompt answer. It said, “Dear Dr. Nara, this acknowledges your recent letter and to say that the Wall Street Journal did, in fact, quote me correctly.”

Now, my point is this, is that the profession believes that you people are a bunch of dummies! They don’t think that you can prevent dental disease! They think that you’re lazy and slovenly and you’re not going to do anything about it and that the end result is that no matter what you do, you’re going to get dental disease. Now ask yourself a question? If you believe that you’re going to get dental disease, what’s going to happen? You’re going to get it! OK, now is that detrimental to the dentist in any way? OK, that’s one of the reasons we wrote this little book called, ‘Money By The Mouthful.’ Because it’s a very profitable arrangement that the dentists have set up because over a period of time, people’s teeth are decaying and they have gum problems and ultimately they wind up wearing false teeth, most of us.

At age 65 by the way, the average American has only four teeth left and that’s the same for blacks and whites. Now, I always enjoy doing this at meetings like this because it proves that it’s an important point to me. OK, of the people that say are roughly between the age 60 and 70 categories, I’m going to ask you a question. If you’re in that age bracket and you have more than four teeth left in your mouth, put up your hands. Ok, look at that. Now in the same age brackets who have less than four teeth left in your mouth, put up your hands. OK, one person in the whole room. Now do you see what is happening with your health group here? OK, we just ran a little test and matched you with the national averages and we had 40 or 50 hands here versus one. OK, so, what you’re doing is helping you, obviously. You see, you’re not wasting your time coming to these kinds of meetings because there’s the proof in the pudding right there.

Now, there are several things that we don’t really have time to get in any great depth about, but I want to leave you with the two ideas because in the books and the materials that we have, we can’t cover it all here today. But yes Virginia, you can heal cavities. OK, areas of decay in the tooth structure are caused simply by the calcium and phosphate ions leaving the tooth. The acids and toxic waste products leach these minerals right out of the tooth and they go into the solution in the saliva and your saliva normally has high concentrations of calcium and phosphorous in it anyway when your diet and everything else is healthy and everything else is running smoothly. So when these calcium deposits leave the tooth structure and they’re in solution what’s to stop them from being re-deposited. Well, in reality they are. In fact, when a cavity is forming, some of the calcium and phosphorous ions are going away and some are being re-deposited. Now if they’re going away faster than they’re being re-deposited, then the cavity is getting bigger. If they’re being deposited faster than they’re being leached out of the tooth then it’s healing. It’s in all of the literature. It’s in all of the professional journals, the research journals. It’s called remineralization. The leader of the research and remineralization is a dentist by the name of Dr. Leon Silverstone who practices and teaches at the University of Iowa. Dr. Silverstone has published innumerable articles about how teeth remineralize, along with a whole gamut of other researchers including a dentist by the name of Coleridge and a whole bunch of them. But, take it from me, the research is all in. Cavities can remineralize and heal.

Now, the same thing is true of gum problems. Frequently, dentists today are telling people if your gums are sick or they’re inflamed or you’ve got pockets or whatever, that the answer to that is to have your gums cut, to have gum surgery. Now ask yourself a question? If your cavities can heal, OK, which is a new frame of reference, isn’t it? It’s like that blind person and the comb. OK, don’t get shook now, thinking this is the only way we’re going to get the comb or don’t get shook and think we can’t heal cavities -- we can, with your new frame of reference. Now, you will be able to assimilate this idea that cavities heal, gums heal, the bone grows back up. If some dentist has told you that once the bone is gone or once the gums recede they won’t come back up, they’re simply not reading their own literature. Because it’s in the literature and the dentists’ don’t practice it.

A short time ago ‘American Health’ magazine had a little article and they quoted a group called, ‘Opinion Research Corporation.’ This group said that the biggest problem in preventive dental health is that the dentists don’t know how to practice the prevention. It’s not that the public doesn’t do it; it’s that the dentists don’t know how to do it. So if they don’t know how to do it, how can they tell the public how to do it? Well unfortunately, under today’s circumstances, they can’t. But, not to worry, because everything that you need to know about healing cavities, gums, getting bone to grow back, that’s all a matter of knowledge, isn’t it? OK, that’s available in the written form or on cassette tapes or whatever else it is that you need to gain the knowledge. So, we’ll talk more about knowledge in a minute or two.

One of the biggest benefits of course, in this sort of thing, is that you save money. Now that’s a pretty good motivator right there, isn’t it? OK, so now if we’re looking for motivating things, we certainly can find some. The dentists frame of reference, by and large and I’ve attended a lot of dental meetings and I’ve given lectures on practice management and how dentists can be more functional in their offices. Unfortunately, many of them lose the point. Because I have found that by treating the public in such a way that I help them not have the disease any more, so their body takes over and heals these things, I have such an influx of brand new people who have all these dental difficulties that I’ve always made far more money than I need on all of the problems that the new people have. But I certainly don’t want to put up with new problems in the people who are part of the practice. That’s insanity.

OK, if I can’t help them stop the disease when I know it can be totally stopped and healed and reversed and all those things then think about it for a minute. If I didn’t help that person gain that knowledge and change that frame of reference and get on this track of keeping their teeth so healthy they don't need a dentist. If I can't communicate that well then I'm a part of their future dental disease, aren’t I? Now dentists don’t buy that philosophy, I’m here to tell you. OK, but I buy it and that’s why over a period of years I have always had more people than I could possibly handle in a practice in a little town where most of the dentists there over the years haven’t done a whole lot except patch and pull teeth."

Re: Frame of Reference (the paradigm shift)

The subject of your website is very interesting. Thanks for taking the effort to help spread Dr. Nara's message.

William

Re: Re: Frame of Reference (the paradigm shift)

This definitely needs to be shared. I have often questioned the need for more expensive dental practices such as root canals and have wondered why they aren't being prevented at a greater precentage. This site is a great point of reference. Thank You.