Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BO DIDDLEY "Chess Masters" on-line comp garners rave reviews

Rich Kienzle, No Depression magazine:

----------------------

BO DIDDLEY
I'm A Man: The Chess Masters 1955-1958
(Hip-O Select)

(NODEPRESSION.NET) -- If Chuck Berry molded his music from his love of jazz, country, pop and blues, Bo Diddley, who moved from McComb, Mississippi, to Chicago in 1934, retained a gutbucket earthiness blending overtones of the rawest Delta blues with sounds of the primitive Chicago street bands he played with as a kid. Half a century after his debut single, "I'm A Man"/"Bo Diddley", and decades after Buddy Holly, the Rolling Stones, George Thorogood and others built on his foundations, it's worth examining Bo's first four years in greater depth.

This limited-edition two-CD package assembles 48 tracks, encompassing released and unreleased masters, twelve alternate takes, and eight unissued masters, one an edgy rendition of Mickey & Sylvia's 1958 hit "Love Is Strange".

Bo's primal nature embraced the conventional blues structure of "I'm A Man" and drove his trademark sound, manifested on "Bo Diddley"; the song's "hambone" rhythm and raw, tremolo-drenched guitar defined him. Such raw, relentlessness begat "Mona", "Bring It To Jerome", "Say Man", "Diddy Wah Diddy", the tongue-in-cheek voodoo of "Who Do You Love" and the fiery "Down Home Special".

The alternate takes, combined with dramatically improved remastering, allow the listener to hear the creative process unfold as Bo and the band work out ideas. It's easy to hear how editing created certain released masters, thanks to the inclusion of both edited and unedited masters, along with Chris Morris's concise notes and George White's discographical data.

Last November, McComb honored Bo (a.k.a. Ellas McDaniel) with a plaque on the Mississippi Blues Trail, noting his influence and citing him as, to use a hackneyed but correct cliche, "a founder of rock and roll." Still recovering from the crippling stroke suffered in May, he attended the ceremony and sang a bit. That indefatigable spirit comes through on this extraordinary collection, which easily merits a sequel.

-- RICH KIENZLE

Copyright c. 2008 No Depression Inc. and/or Rich Kienzle