BO DIDDLEY-The Originator Forum

BO DIDDLEY-The Originator Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BO DIDDLEY tributes from the stars

BO DIDDLEY tributes from the stars:

"Bo Diddley was one of the true pioneers of rock 'n' roll and an underrated songwriter. His influence can still be heard everywhere. I just bought an old Bo Diddley 45 at a record shop today before I heard of his passing. He was an American original". (Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins)

"Listening to Bo Diddley, you could convince yourself that the only thing you need to create great rock 'n' roll is a tremolo guitar, a killer beat and one and a half chords. Many tried and some have failed, but nobody did it like Diddley". (Elvis Costello)

"It's a good day because I've walked on the planet at the same time as Bo Diddley. The simplistic and humorous artistry that accompanied this creation we all know as the Bo Diddley beat is a resounding testament to someone who knew how to touch us in a rock 'n' roll way. Bo Diddley was the man who constructed the sound we all grew to revolve around ... and a vision of simplicity delivered through effortless expression and sense of humor. Many times, Bo made a point to say, "I'll always be around" and we know he will". (Billy F. Gibbons, ZZ Top)

"I heard the Rolling Stones play "Not Fade Away", which used the Bo Diddley beat. Then when I heard Bo Diddley himself, I thought, oh, amazing, it comes from that. It's pretty hard to pull that beat off. Johnny Marr's guitar playing is Johnny Marr being Bo Diddley. I love those Chess records he made: "Who Do You Love", "You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover". I've got footage of him playing live in the 60's, it's amazing". (Bobby Gillespie, Primal Scream)

"I think we were all fans of Bo Diddley's rhythm and style. So many artists have borrowed his simple, but powerful rhythms, his chocolate bar shaped-guitar. Bo Diddley, may you rest in peace and live on through future musicians". (Albert Hammond, Jr., The Strokes)

"The Bo Diddley beat is the bedrock for thousands of bands including The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Grateful Dead and countless others. His slashing rhythm guitar brought the most powerful rhythms from west Africa into rock 'n' roll. When I was 14 years old I happened to wander into a club and have the opportunity to play my first public performance with the master. It seems his drummer was late and asked if there was drummer in the house. That moment will always be with me. Rock the heavens, Mr Diddley, like only you can". (Mickey Hart, The Grateful Dead)

"He was a wonderful, original musician who was an enormous force in music and was a big influence on The Rolling Stones. He was very generous to us in our early years and we learned a lot from him. We will never see his like again." (Sir Mick Jagger, The Rolling Stones)

"It's rotten news about Bo Diddley. When I heard it I put "Road Runner" on the record player. What a riff. What a guitarist - totally revolutionised the way the instrument was played with that loose sexy rhythm". (Alex Kapranos, Franz Ferdinand)