BO DIDDLEY-The Originator Forum

BO DIDDLEY-The Originator Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
House of Representatives salutes BO DIDDLEY (Part 2/4)

SALUTING THE LIFE AND MUSIC OF THE LATE BO DIDDLEY -- (House of Representatives - June 09, 2008) (Part 2/4)

(3) recommits itself to ensuring that musical artists such as Bo Diddley receive fair protection under the copyright laws for their contributions to American culture; and

(4) extends condolences to his family on the death of this remarkable and talented man.

The SPEAKER pro tempore. Pursuant to the rule, the gentlewoman from California (Ms. Zoe Lofgren) and the gentleman from Iowa (Mr. King) each will control 20 minutes.

The Chair recognizes the gentlewoman from California.

Ms. ZOE LOFGREN of California. Mr. Speaker, I ask unanimous consent that all Members have 5 legislative days to revise and extend their remarks and include extraneous material on the resolution under consideration.

The SPEAKER pro tempore. Is there objection to the request of the gentlewoman from California?

There was no objection.

Ms. ZOE LOFGREN of California. Mr. Speaker, I yield myself such time as I may consume.

Mr. Speaker, today we honor the life and musical legacy of Bo Diddley, a founding father of rock and roll, a guitarist who has influenced generations of musicians, who no doubt will continue to do so for generations to come.

This resolution was introduced by the chairman of the full Judiciary Committee, Mr. Conyers, who was unable to be here in time to present it himself.

I am honored to note that Bo Diddley was born Otha Ellas Bates in the small town of McComb, Mississippi. He moved as a young boy to Chicago, where he initially studied classical violin. But at age 12, he heard John Lee Hooker play "Boogie Chillen" and found his true calling, the electric guitar.

He got the nickname, by which he will ever be known, as a teenager from a girl in his neighborhood. He said she meant it as a compliment to his boxing skill.

After years playing music with friends on the South Side of Chicago, first on street corners, later at the 708 Club, Bo Diddley and his band made their first record in 1955.

Vee-Jay Records had turned them down, who said the music was just too strange. But they walked across the street to Chess, who signed them up on the spot. The song, titled "Bo Diddley," became an instant hit, reaching number 2 on the charts.

Later that year, he was invited to perform on TV on the Ed Sullivan Show. For some reason, Ed Sullivan chose to have him play a Tennessee Ernie Ford song, "16 Tons." Bo Diddley didn't know that song. So the show's crew spent 2 hours playing him the record and rehearsing it with him and made cue cards with the lyrics for him.

But what the audience got to hear that night was "Bo Diddley." And when the show's producer asked him what went wrong, he said, "Man, maybe that was "16 Tons" on those cards, but all I saw was "Bo Diddley." "

Although Ed Sullivan didn't plan for it to be, that was the first rock and roll performance on TV, a year before Elvis Presley made his appearance on the show.