P.L. 671, The Termination of the Mixed-Blood Uinta's of Utah

Welcome to our forum.
Feel free to post your comments about our on going struggle.

Forum: P.L. 671, The Termination of the Mixed-Blood Uinta's of Utah
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Reverse assimilation - Keeping culture and language alive by spreading it beyond the reservation and

Reverse assimilation - Keeping culture and language alive by spreading it beyond the reservation and ethnic indigenous people.
Languages are dying. They are on of the most important factors of a cultures continued existence. The maps need to be improved. They have more places named by the conquers than the original people. Many of the place names may have been lost because of forced migrations. The people become disconnected from their land. I was raised and have lived most of my life in a place (I am 37 years old) and I did not know what it's older name was before a couple of weeks ago (Pareamoot AKA the Elk Mountains). I grew up in a place that was inhabited by the same ethnic group for more than 1000 years and I still have not met one of these people. I sent request to several sources asking for the names of the places. I received an incomplete list from Elise Redd of the Southern Utes. So many names are missing. Better maps need to be made. These names should not just be known by the people of their linage. They should be put to use so much that they become the "official" name and if the officials don't accept them, ****'m. The people will learn. Every mountain, every stream, very valley, every thing that is named now on the common maps needs it's name. And if the descendants of the original people do not know what the name is then they should go to those places, know them and name them. If the youth don't speak the language, have them name the places however they can and then ask those who do know the language for help. And this should not just be for the places. Let it be for every animal, every plant, every stone and every other part of the environment that the tribes of the original peoples lived in. Let it spread into the communities that arrived there, indigenous or not until it becomes common. Revers the assimilation.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Online Photo Albums   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com