Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Power-full Day on TCM

Yes, at long last (and overdue) Tyrone Power is given an entire day to himself. Celluloid heaven for established fans. Even 24 hours is not too much for this gifted and multi-faceted film great, especially given how long it was in coming. As a decades old admirer, I even found myself with a renewed appreciation of his potent and charismatic screen presence. On the downside, there was aggravatingly little advance fanfare of this unique occasion (compared with other more often shown luminaries)and host(s) comments fell into predictable and short-sighted descriptives such as 'matinee idol' and action star.'The choice of films could have been stronger, but my great hope is that there were viewers new to his work that will discover the treasure we have known for some time.

Re: Power-full Day on TCM

Most definitely agree--it was wonderful that they gave a full day to Ty, but I do agree that the comments were too ordinary or skimming the surface. (The bio they had online was pretty thorough.)

However, I also agree that if this raised awareness of Tyrone Power for new fans, let's hope it succeeded, and then more of his films might be shown on TCM.

I also felt that Lloyd's of London should have been on Ty's day, not Freddie Bartholomew's day. That didn't make any sense to me being this was the film that put him on the map as a major star. Unless, of course, it was to help tease Tyrone's films on the 25th . . .

Anyway, thank you TCM for giving Ty a special day for himself.

Re: Power-full Day on TCM

Agreed and I'll take anything at this point for, as you say, he is woefully underrepresented...on TV and otherwise.

I *really* was hoping that we would get a short 'film' during the ads/shorts between films, a.k.a. the other actors featured, but no such luck. It looks like they rehashed the spotlights usually played for their "Star of the Month" :-(! (It would be nice if they could have put something for TP--ah well !!