Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tyrone Power Centennial/Park Ridge (Chicago IL) Celebration May 2014

I tried to post this before, back in May, but somehow Bravenet said it detected spam and rejected my post.

So I'm trying again.

We were very fortunate that Matthew Hoffman, who works with the Park Ridge Library and is a noted film historian in the Chicago area, was able to coordinate the return of Taryn Power Greendear for a grand evening at the Pickwick Theatre in Park Ridge, IL, a nearby Chicago suburb. The attendance was 500+! The Pickwick is a refurbished art deco movie palace and was never compromised as other Chicago film palaces were back in the 70s and 80s. It's still intact, and just had new sound proofing and seats added. It still has many of its original art deco motifs and a beautiful ceiling mural.

Anyway, here are some links to the event from the Park Ridge Classic Films website, which include photos from the events. Matthew was invited by the Power family to attend the Ohio celebration and he included comments and photos of that event as well. All three Power siblings were together, and Ty IV truly looks like dad.

The hard cover 1st edition of Romina's book (translated in English) also made its debut at the Pickwick. Taryn took time to sign the books, take photos, and chat with everyone.

Please scroll through these postings as Matthew included other commentary on other Park Ridge Film events. He really does a great job researching the films--TCM should invite him to introduce some films--he'd do a great job!

http://parkridgeclassicfilm.com/2014/06/

http://parkridgeclassicfilm.com/2014/05/

Also try this article from the Chicago Tribune discussing the Park Ridge Tyrone event:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/ct-chicago-closeup-tyrone-power-20140424-column.html#page=1

Have a great weekend all!

Re: Tyrone Power Centennial/Park Ridge (Chicago IL) Celebration May 2014

A VERY BELATED THANK YOU MELODY--THOSE TWO SITES ARE FANTASTIC!!!

Matthew is doing a great job promoting Ty.

For 2015 he's planning "The Sun Also Rises" and is hoping to have both Taryn Power and Rory Flynn (Taryn knows Rory). He also said that Ty, Jr. expressed interest in coming to Chicago for an event.

I'll keep you posted on how this turns out!

Needless to say, I'm a bit jealous that I'm on the East coast :-)!! What a treat these events must be. There is nothing comparable here (not even the revival houses ever play anything on T. Power :-(! So, again, you're strategically located Melody :-)!

I will e-mail you as well--it's been a while since we 'typed' :-)!!

Tyrone Power/Park Ridge IL Film Fests/Next Sun Also Rises (spring 2015)

Joanne, being all your research on Ty, it would be grand for you to visit Chicago and attend the next one, probably again in May. I'm sure you'd like to meet Taryn! She's been very generous both times she participated, from talking to everyone to taking photos, so on.

Matthew did talk to Ty, Jr., and he expressed interest in coming in, but nothing's been said about him participating in the "Sun Also Rises" event.

Since Errol Flynn is in that movie, and Taryn said she's connected with Rory Flynn, both ladies might come in for this event. If I hear that Ty, Jr., will also come, I'll certainly post it and email you.

I hope you and the east do not get bombarded--the weather reports for your area sound horrible! (3 ft snow?!)

Tyrone Power/Sun Also Rises--may in the fall?? Update

Due to presentation issues (35mm vs. digital), the Pickwick can no longer show 35mm films, and it looks like Fox doesn't have it converted to the new digital format theatres are using.

They are trying to work this out, so "Sun" may not happen until the fall, or another movie will be selected.

Matthew is still planning to have both Taryn and Rory Flynn come for an event.

Will update when things are decided down the road.

MV

Re: Tyrone Power/Sun Also Rises--may in the fall?? Update

Sounds good Melody, keep us posted :-)!