Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: TY article

Thanks so much - yes, the black swans always make me think he's around - especially when they come out of the water and walk near the grave.

Don't forget to go over to the turnerclassicmovies.com website and complain if you can - link is in the thread below this one.

Re: TY article

Ok, you've got me laughing out loud at this great article....starting the "At Least Some of them" (!) How true! Gotta love "Power wasn't the only one left out of the great unwashed" Love it!! Agree with Melody....."You get 'em girl" is right :-)!

Didn't really peruse through this very thoroughly in the bookstore to see what other omissions/additions they had bt I was really shocked to read that Betty Grable was left out from the female version of this bk, until I read it in your article. !! Very, Veeeery strange. Leaves ya kinda of speechless.

Also didn't know about Tony Curtis. Not a particulary big fan of Tony Curtis but he was in some of the most important films ever made for heaven's sake--was a major leading of the 50's and 60's. Another strange omission.

(Have to disagree with you with one inclusion Maria, and that is Buster Keaton. You're right about the man being a comedian, etc. but he was such a cinema giant that I'd take him in any "list of...")

Just goes to show these "lists of" are so ridiculously subjective and at the whim of whomever is making them up (the downright silly ones of some of these film magazines come to mind). They're never to be taken seriously IMNSHO and this one is a great example of how inane this things can be.

Great article! HOepfully it'll make the powers that be take notice.

Re: Re: TY article

Yeah, well, so far, all it's doing is making this guy Scott continually post and say that no one ever heard of Tyrone Power. He's basing this on the fact that his idiot friends, obviously not film fans, know who John Wayne is but not Tyrone Power. He actually came back after I responded to his first post and gave me an argument. I gave him another one.

You know, some bozo may not know an actor, but a lot of times if you say things like, "you know, he was Zorro," or they see a photo, then it's, "Oh, I know this guy." The fact is like someone said on the TCM board, The fans ALWAYS know. Sure the man on the street knows John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart...longer careers and they outlived Tyrone Power by 19 and 39 years respectively. But the film fans know everybody. This guy is driving me nuts.

So this other person writes in - and you want to talk about falling over laughing - "I have young friends who don't know who Judy Garland or Barbara Streisand are. I don't take that to mean that Judy Garland and Barbara Streisand are unpopular and have no longevity. I take it to mean that my friends are what they are, which is stupid" - or something like that. Hilarious.

Good article...

FINALLY someone is saying it...Tyrone was left off of a list he deserved to be on. I see it happen all the time. I remember when they did those "AFI Top 100 Greatest Movies/Actors/Scenes" shows, Tyrone was never to be found.

I think there's a combination of reasons...#1 Only a few of his movies were memorable or stood the test of time (Jesse James, Black Swan, Zorro, Nightmare Alley), #2 he died in the late 50s and therefore fell out of recent memory, #3 things like this Turner special interest stuff go on.

People still remember him. He was mentioned in "Flags of Our Fathers" only briefly. I remembering watching an early episode of "The Simpsons" and someone mentions him (yes, the Simpsons). And we still love him.

Nice article.

And for the record...Jesse Bradford looks nothing like Tyrone. Bradford looks more like an Osmond in my opinion.

Re: Good article...

Agreed. It's downright weird, imho. (Although I substitute either Long Gray Line adn/or Witness for Prosecution for The Black Swan.)