The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Meeting With Tyrone Power...."Silents Majority"

"over the years & think he has
an interesting vibe for a screen persona; very different than any of his contemporaries. Plus his
early passing adds a mystique to his screen persona.."

Agreed! Plus he TRULY CARED for his art unlike many actors of his generations (i.e. Errol Flynn who always looked a bit down on the profession and wasn't as committed.)

"I also wrote a short story (fictional) loosely based
on my silent film buddy Jack's brief meeting with
Ty. Hopefully I can get it published somewhere..."

Good for you and CONGRATULATIONS, Bill :-)!! Best of luck in getting it published as I'm sure you will!

As for silent films, along with Facets Video (they're based in Chicago, btw), you may want to try the website SILENTS MAJORITY. I was able to find info. on two John Barrymore films (from the teens!) from info. that was on the site. It's quite excellent.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Meeting With Tyrone Power...."Silents Majority"

Here is the Silents Majority website, Bill

Silent' Majority

http://www.silentsmajority.com/

Re: Re: Re: Re: Meeting With Tyrone Power...."Silents Majority"

Sorry I could not get back to you sooner, Joanne.
Had a independent film contest to judge last nite & party afterwards so it was a busy day for me.

I agree completely with your sentiment about Ty caring about his acting craft. While I don't know
that much about him (though I always enjoyed his films)I had read where be bucked his studio to
make "Nightmare Alley." Only someone who truly cared about their craft would do something like that.
When teaching film classes in college, I've always tried to give background on the film stars (unlike many of my fellow faculty, who teach film as a sterile subject filled with theories...).

Thanks also for the kind words re: my short story;
I'll keep you all posted of any success (if any) I have getting it published...Keep your fingers crossed...

Thanks also for the info on Facets & Silents Majority (& their link!) I have not visited them (SM)in maybe ten years & was impressed to see they have revamped their website!

Sounds like you have an interest in Jack Barrymore, Joanne. If so I would recommend "The Beloved Rogue"
(1926?) & "Don Juan" (also '26).Both are very impressive demonstrations of Drew's granfather's power in acting...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Meeting With Tyrone Power...."Silents Majority"

WOW, Bill sounds very exciting indeed :-)! How were the films? Any standouts? Great that you're a teacher as well, one of the most admirable professions IMHO.

Jack Barrymore was one of the greats, and yep, he is one of my favorites (one can imagine seeing his "Hamlet" on Broadway). I have "Don Juan" yes. Good film; have you seen it, any thoughts? Like Beloved Rogue as well but Don Juan is a bit better. If memory serves, I think TCM is going to be scoring "Beau Brummell" for their Young Composers Competition in the next few months (weeks?) Should be something to see!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Meeting With Tyrone Power...."Silents Majority"

WOW! At first I thought Gene Tierney was answering my post!!!! (Now *that* would have been an impressive trick!!!) Good thing I scrolled back up to see the earlier posts...

Thanks for the comments, Joanne. Interestingly, over half of the films were animated (CGI); it was a weeding out process. Many tech problems in the bunch (poor sound quality). The film that I made went over pretty well (20 min. silent film (with organ music soundtrack)which I directed (& acted in) which was an homage to German Expressionist horror films(vampires). Was not sure this if this was a conflict of interest (being a judge also) but as there will be several judges for the second part of the conntest they felt this was okay. It took about three hours the pats two Fridays to wade thru the firts 3 min. of each film (to weed out those with tech issues).

Re: teaching, I agree completely, though it is a frustrating at times dealing with students who just show up to take up space. But the good ones hopefuly offset that.

Re: Barrymore, Yes I've seen (& have "Don Juan")& agree with you (great film & JB perfsormance) but also equally like "Beloved Rogue" because of JB's scenes with Conrad Veidt. Watching these two heavyweights go one-on-one in their scenes together, coming from different acting styles, trying to steal their scenes from each other, is the closest thing to nirvana for a cinephile. Also, the scene where JB is banned from Paris, & is wiping his clown makeup off,
ranks (to me) as one of the all-time great cinematic moments on th silver screen.

I agree about "Beau Brummel," have not seen that JB silent, though I have & have seen his "Sherlock Holmes." His acting is a revelation everytime I've seen him on the screen (even his 'talkies...').

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Meeting With Tyrone Power...."Silents Majority"

>>>> The film that I made went over pretty well (20 min. silent film (with organ music soundtrack)which I directed (& acted in) which was an homage to German Expressionist horror films(vampires). >>>>

WOOOWWW!! Very impressive indeed, Bill! Good for you. The creative process is such a big part of it for you, as well, I would imagine!

It seems like you're an expert in German Expressionism films as well. Fascinating period though I don't know that much about it (about the only one that comes to mind is Golem/Golum (?) [other than Caligari, of course] but it's still one I haven't seen.)

>>>Re: teaching, I agree completely, though it is a frustrating at times dealing with students who just show up to take up space. But the good ones hopefuly offset that.>>>

Even if there's only one in the crowd it is worth it, imho.

>>>>Re: Barrymore, Yes I've seen (& have "Don Juan")& agree with you (great film & JB perfsormance) but also equally like "Beloved Rogue" because of JB's scenes with Conrad Veidt. Watching these two heavyweights go one-on-one in their scenes together, coming from different acting styles, trying to steal their scenes from each other, is the closest thing to nirvana for a cinephile. Also, the scene where JB is banned from Paris, & is wiping his clown makeup off,
ranks (to me) as one of the all-time great cinematic moments on th silver screen.

>>>>I agree about "Beau Brummel," have not seen that JB silent, though I have & have seen his "Sherlock Holmes." His acting is a revelation everytime I've seen him on the screen (even his 'talkies...').>>>

Holmes and Dr. Jekyl, which you've no doubt seen (perhaps his best silent performance). Must re-watch Beloved Rogue again to see the scenes you speak of again (as for Veit, you no doubt have his "Man Who Laughs"? Wonderful film and the b&w photography is out of this world!)

Rambled enough !!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Meeting With Tyrone Power...."Silents Majority"

Thanks for the kind words, Joanne...
Yes, the creative aspect is a big part of it;
the challenge for me is to get on the screen the image in my mind. It was not a happy shooot (one actress' attitude almost derailed the shoot..) but
I settled her down & things proceeded on course (when people are not getting paid (which they know up front)
they sometimes cop an entitlement attitude...

But bottom line, the film turned out fine, & hopefully will do well in the contest. "Golem" & "Caligari" are hallmarks of the GE period, as is "Nosferatu." I love the atmosphere in these filmss.
Germany's Lottie Eisner wrote probably the best book of Germany's Expressionist period (but the title escapes me; class coming up very shortly...).

I have (& have seen numerous timess)"Man Who Laughs"
one of the best silents of all time, as well as a personal fave. Even Chaney would have been hard-pressed to top CV's perforamnce in that film. BTW, Batman creator Bob Kane said that CV's makeup for thta role inspired his image of the Joker..ANd the resemblance is identical....Of course, CV was great in talkies as well (as MajorStrausser in another fave "Casablanca").

Re: JB, yes, I have seen "Dr. Jekyll" numerous times;
definitely one of his best, along with "Don Juan" & "Beloved Rogue." I think if you watch ""Beloved Rogue" again you might be more impressed with it...
Those aforementioned scenes really blew me awaay...

Acting on the stage & on screen are two completely different animals, yet JB makes the transition very easily. Anyway, it sounds like you are up on your silent films, Joanne. Very good; I'm impressed!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Meeting With Tyrone Power...."Silents Majority"

Couldn't wait any longer and ordered "Man Who Laughs.." today Bill, based on your commentary. Long overdue, quite frankly :-). VERY INTERESTING indeed about the "Joker" influence! Looking exactly alike indeed!

will have to re-watch Beloved Rogue, yes. I suspect that Barrymore enjoyed it personally as well as he devoured the character parts (however partial), it seems. (Have you seen "The Tempest" btw? Not a particulary good film but again Barrymore gives a nice performance (albeit a quiet contained, one).

Will definitely try to see Golem (not sure if it's on dvd/vhs but will do a quick check). Thanks for the great info.! Have the Eisner book you speak of but it's on my list to read [ahem]!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Meeting With Tyrone Power...."Silents Majority"

Hope you enjoy TMWL, Joanne. Paul Leni, who died only a year or so after this film (& one called "The Last
Warning: he only did 4 US films & a dozen German films)died o fblood poisoning (from an absessed tooth). An amazing director...

Veidt's performance, as well as Mary Philbin's (even better than her gig in the "Phantom of the Opera")
are extremely moving & compelling...The film has the best of both worlds: German Expressionist artistry & Hollywood's expensive production values... All that & a heroic dog as well!!!!

Bob Kane (& Batman co-creator (writer)Bill Finger were avid silent fans, both came up with the Joker idea from TMWL. Also, both used alot of "Mark of Zorro" (Fairbanks version)in creating Batman (rich idler, who has a hidden cave beneath his mansion, eve nwith the grandafther clock entrance to the cave! Both were acrobatic heroes with capes & a dark costumes. its all there in the Fairbank's film...

Have not seen "the Tempest," but would like to see more of Barrymore's silents; yes he *can* go over the top at times, but I attribute that to his stage background (which must be hard to calibrate down for films, esp. whenm he was doing Shakespear on the 'boards' on Broadway while making films during the day...I've reda that he lothed films that exploited his good loooks, & preferred character roles like "Jekyll" that submeerged his "Great Profile."

"Golem" is interesting, though not one of my faves; still a nice preface to Universla's "Frankenstein."
You can definitely see the influence there... "Golem" is definitely on DVD/VHS. I think Kino has it...The Eisner book (:The Haunted Screen") is a wonderful read with nice photos; I'm sure you will enjoy reading it, Joanne. She is (was) the best source of German Expressionissm. Famed German director Werner Herzog (who I met in Atlanta back in '96) is a huge admirer of Eisner. You are wmost welcome for the info, Joanne. Happy reading!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Meeting With Tyrone Power...."Silents Majority"

Oops! sorry for all the typos; busy day at school
(last week in semester...).

silents, etc.

Hi bill,

Great post! apologies for the delay in responding but it's been nutty here of late (on top of that I have pet problems...and if you have any pets, you probably know what that's like :-)!)

Didn't know that about the director of MWL! Tragic and what a loss for the film world. Hhmm absess tooth...wonder if they could even treat that in those days (?) (Kinda reminds me of Murnau and how young he went; "Sunrise" is one of my favorite films). the film hasn't arrived yet but I remember the beyond beautiful photography, among everyting else.

I'd recommend the Tempest, yes. Again, not a great film but Barrymore is memorable. I don't know though, I thought he emoted far less than the rest of them. I read somewhere that despite being relatively new to films he had an understanding that using the less-is-more idea was better for film as opposed to theatre. so it seemed, to this viewer at least, that he's performances, on a whole, were more subdued than your average silent star. Yes, I can imagine that he loathed films in many respects for the Great Profile stuff, etc.

Like Brando, and as you probably know, there are great stories about him as well. he was cracking jokes even on his deathbed apparently.

Re: silents, etc.

Hey Joanne,

No problem geetting back to me; things
getting hectic here as well (finals week)
so am knee-deep in grading.

Funny thing, I also thought of Murnau (early
death) when I first learned of Leni's passing,
& how much those two events really changed the
landscape of US cinema because of that
(interesting Twilight Zone-esque story of
Murnau's death tha tI'll save for another time;
it's in Lotte Eisner's *other* noteworthy book
"Murnau," which is rare & I picked up at a used
book store..). But I digress...

Bongo-playing Brando, I'm sure, was a wild man
off-screen. Again, his acting style (mumbling)
wasn't my cup of tea; all I can think of is
"Stellllllllllllllllla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

WIll have to seek out "Tempest"... Jack was a
pretty wild man off-screen as well...

Sorry to hear about your pet; hope all goes well.
My family had two dogs growing up, & I still
miss them (& think of them) alot...

Ciao4now,
Bill

Re: Re: silents, etc.

Now you have me quite curious Bill regarding the Twilight Zone-esque story. Anywho, only when you get a chance are so inclined.

Would love to hear what you think of "Tempest" is you get a chance to see it. Again, don't expect much but it's certainly worth a look. Nice performance by Lois Wolheim (sp?) as well (he played the Sergeant in "All Quiet on the Western Front", if memory serves).

Yeah, I'm not a particular fan of Brando either (there was quite a fuss made over the TCM doc. so I made a point of watching); don't think he's as effective as Olivier but that's my opinion only.

TMWL arrived today. Can't wait to see (re-see_ it :-)!

Re: Re: Re: silents, etc.

Thanks for heads up re: 'cliffhanger," Joanne.

Things chaotic at end of semester (Two
plagiarism cases...AARRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!) these
kids never learn....

TZ Story (according to eisner book "Murnau"):
SHortly before a trip home (to Germnay) FWM
consulted a gypsy fortune teller about the
impending trip. She predicted bad outcome,
saying he'd arrive home, but in a different
manner than he expected..

So FWM changed his travel plans, taking an
auto trip to take a train trip across the US
continent (going west to east)to board boat
in NYC. Turns out, his reckless chauffeur's
driving caused an accident, going off the road,
down a ravine of some kind. I think only Murnau
died (head imjury). *But*.......Murnau *did*
arrive home, in a different manner than expected:
in a coffin.... Is that spooky, ir what?????
The fortune teller had it right, after all....

If you like Olivier, have you seen "Sleuth"???
It really made me appreciate Michael Caine as
an actor... I hear they are re-making it with
Caine in Oliver's role, & Jude Law (who did a
remake of Caine's breakout hit in "Alfie")
in Caine's original "Sleuth" role...

It may take a while to get "The Tempest," but will
definitely give you my impression when I do...
In the meantime, let me know what you think of
your re-seeing TMWL...

Re: Re: Re: Re: silents, etc.

VERY interesting stuff indeed, Bill, not to mention downright EERIE, regarding Muranau--spooky is right! It makes you think there just might be something to that stuff--makes you wonder! Such a waste, as one wonders what more films he may have made.

Can well imagine what you're dealing with with the plagiarism case--it's so easy nowadays with the internet, etc. :-(! An unenviable task on your part.

Still haven't had a chance to see TMWL (!) as it's been crazy at work (hence the late response here).

I know what you mean about Caine in "Slueth" (had heard about the re-make. Hopefully, they make a decent version [the new "Alfie" left a lot to be desired].

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: silents, etc.

No problemo getting back to me, Joanne.
I feel your pain (re: time crunch).

Had mixed feeling about "Alfie" remake;
not sure why Hollywood feels compelled
to remake classic films, period.....
(answer: Greed!). Interesting update
on film; thought Jude Law gave it his
best shot; though he's no Michael Caine
(but then, who is?).

I thought the same thing re: Murnau.
He was resistant to sound revolution
(yay...) & appeared to continue to
buck the revolution making silent films
into the foreseeable future...I've seen
both of his last two films: "City Girl"
& "Tabu," which were interesting cinematic
experiments, indicating Murnau was continuing
to push the evelope cinematically... I guess
its all conjecture from this point on.
"Four Devils" (the other post-"Sunrise" film)
is unfortunately 'lost' so another piece of the
puzzle remains obscure...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: silents, etc.

Had mixed feeling about "Alfie" remake;
not sure why Hollywood feels compelled
to remake classic films, period.....
(answer: Greed!). Interesting update
on film; thought Jude Law gave it his
best shot; though he's no Michael Caine
(but then, who is?).

AGREED! ALTHOUGH THIS SEEMED TO HAVE SOME THOUGHT (NOT TO MENTION SOME ATTEMPT AT ORIGINALITY) BEHIND IT. I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT RE-MAKES...OR SEQUALS FOR THAT MATTER. GOFATHER III COMES TO MIND AS A COMPLETE DISASTER AND UNDERMINING THE 1ST TWO FILMS (PARTICULARLY NO. 2). A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME, IMHO.

AS FOR LAW, IT ALMOST SEEMS LIKE HE'S A CHARACTER ACTOR W/ A LEADING MAN'S FACE, ETC. CASE IN POINT WAS THE GREAT PERFORMANCE HE GAVE IN "ROAD TO PERDITION." HIS ENTRY INTO THE FILM WITH THAT PIDGEON WALK, ETC. WAS PRICELESS. HE NAILED IT AND IT SHOWS WHAT HE'S CAPABLE OF WHEN GIVEN THE RIGHT ROLE. STILL, I KNOW "ROAD TO PERDITION" IS NOT THE JUDE LAW FILM THAT COMES TO MIND FOR MOST (AGAIN, A SHAME, I THINK :-)

I thought the same thing re: Murnau.
He was resistant to sound revolution
(yay...) & appeared to continue to
buck the revolution making silent films
into the foreseeable future...I've seen
both of his last two films: "City Girl"
& "Tabu," which were interesting cinematic
experiments, indicating Murnau was continuing
to push the evelope cinematically... I guess
its all conjecture from this point on.
"Four Devils" (the other post-"Sunrise" film)
is unfortunately 'lost' so another piece of the
puzzle remains obscure...

A TRAGIC LOSS--ONE CAN JUST IMAGINE WHAT OTHER FILMS HE HAD IN HIM. SUNRISE IS BEYOND BRILLIANT :-)! HAVEN'T SEEN "TABU" THOUGH IT'S CONSIDERED A BONA-FIDE MASTERPIECE. AND "CITY GIRL" I'VE NEVER HEARD OF, SO THANKS FOR THE HEAD'S UP, BILL.

ON A SIDE NOTE, I DECIDED TO TINKER WITH MY RECORDING EQUIPMENT RECENTLY AND DISCOVERED THAT I CAN MAKE YOU A COPY OF TYRONE POWER SENIOR'S "WITHOUT MY CHILDREN" (1916) ON DVD AND BARRYMORE'S "THE TEMPEST" ON VHS (UNFORTUNATELY, I CAN'T MAKE A DVD COPY OF THE LATTER). IN ANY CASE, LET ME KNOW IF YOU'RE INTERESTED (I'M DYING TO GET RID OF SOME OF MY VHS TAPES, SO THIS WOULD BE A GOOD 'EXCUSE' TO DO SO :-)!!)

J0ANNE

Re: silents, etc.

Agree with you completely on "Alfie" remake,
Joanne. They *did* try to inject some thought
*&* originality (updating it & setting it in
NYC as opposed to London, but still keeping the character as a cockney Brit...)to it & tweaking
the plot from the original.

Also agree with you about Law; BTW, I did see
"Road to Perdition" & loved it & his performance
(As well as everyone else's...). And what a
cinematic epitath for the late cinematographer
Conrad Hall! I esp. loved the 'silent' rainy
apocalypse near the end of the film; wonderfully
orchestrated...

Thank you so much for the offer to dupe "Without
My Children" & "The Tempest," Joanne! That would
be wonderful! I can return the favor with "City
Girl," I think. Have to check on to see if it's
'copyable'... If it is it would be on VHS; don't
have the equipment yet to burn DVDs,
unfortunately... :-( Don't have "Tabu," seen it
in Atlanta on the big screen about ten years ago,
but remember the cinematography was breathtaking...