Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Gene Tierney

No problem, Bill. Joanne, I read that part, too, about "The Mirror Crack'd"...

IMDB.com trivia:

"Some speculate that the solution to The Mirror Crack'd is based on the real life tragedy of Gene Tierney."

Rita Hayworth had the most troubling lives of all. She was molested by her father when she was young, and developed early Alzheimers. Apparently some paparazzi caught her one time out and about and she appeared lost.

Hollywood chews up and spits people out. There are many women who came to Hollywood back then, made it big, and then were either committed, abused, or dead before their 60s. Greta Garbo withdrew to a world where only a few people saw her. Frances Farmer was in a sanitarium for a while. Marilyn Monroe could not handle life and therefore possibly took her own. Lana Turner had failed romances (incl Tyrone) and Judy Garland was driven into an early grave because of accidental barbiturate overdose. People literally were thrown to the wolves.

I only know of a few leading ladies from back then who hung on...Bette Davis, one of my faves, was too **** mean to go down. Marlene Dietrich didn't care what others thought of her. Maureen O'Hara was very grounded. They were able to hang on because of their character and fortitude.

Re: Re: Re: Gene Tierney

Thanks for the followup, Kerry.

I was not aware of Rita's early background (only that she was a dancer...). Monroe, Garland, Farmer & Turner's tragedies have been well-documented, so I was familiar with them. The mysterious & aloof Garbo
(also well-documented)probably did herself a favor by retiring to seclusion from the media.

This dark underbelly of Hollywood in exploiting its female stars stretches all the way back to the silent era. "It Girl" Clara Bow was the most celebrated case
(father sexually abused her; mother tried to kill her with a butcher knife), Louise Broooks (also sexually
molested by a neighbor; her mother never believed her), John Gilbert (locked in closets, sometimes for days) while his mother (a provincial stage actress) partied with men. Wallace Reid suffered the same exploitation (to drugs) by his studio that Garland suffered. Drug abuse (Mabel Normand, Barbara LaMarr, & numerous others) & alcohol abuse (Keaton)was ramant during the 1920's. Drug pushers, pimps & criminals
attached themselves to the film industry like leeches
& fed off the stars (& their money & bodies) while the industry pretty much looked the other way...
It was really a disgraceful situation that the industry allowed to exist...

To me there are two Hollywoods: the glamorous, mystical side (it's stars), & the dark, exploitive side (the studios & producers). Given what many of these stars suffered in their childhood &/or adulthood
its a wonder that they turned out as good as they did... I prefer to think of the talented stars & their wonderful films, though I know there was another story going on off-screen as well...

I also agree with you, Kerry, on the strong female stars in Hollywood; add Mary Pickford to that list... She was another resilient star who more than held her own...

Re: Re: Re: Gene Tierney

Agreed, and I'd add Barbara Stanwyck (and Kate Hepburn for that matter..athough with her it was probably a too-healthy-ego-to destroy :-)! to that stable lot. Gotta love Davis, as well :-)!

I think Rita H. probably did have some problems with her father but it seems like the Barbara Leeming bio. is the only time that this info. came out (before or since; kinda strange although there is validity to it in all likelyhood). Have you heard it from another source?

Garland would have burned out early even if it wasn't for MGM apparently, but MGM was a big culprit (if not entirely responsible!)

Are you watching the Brando doc. on TCM, btw?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gene Tierney

Good point, Joanne. I'll bet if we all put our heads together on this forum we could come up with a list of about a dozen "Golden Age" female stars (like Stanwyck, Hepburn (Kate) & others, like the great Bette, who took no 'guff' from the studios... Kudos to them all!

Missed the Brando doc; not one of my faves, but I admire his talent, as well as the colorful off-screen stories about him.. He worked with everyone from Chaplin ("A Countess from Hong Kong")to Johnny Depp ("Don Juan DeMarco"). Kevin Spacey does a spooky right-on Brando impersonation. My fave Brando pics are probably off-mainstream for most folks: "The Freshman"(with Matthew Broderick; hilarious!) & "Last Tango in Paris."

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gene Tierney

Adding to strong women during the golden years--Olivia de Havilland--defied Jack Warner's studio contractual grip.

MV

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gene Tierney

Yes, Melody, & what makes it all the remarakable was how *young* Olivia was....

Re: re: silents...Bill, we've fallen off the cliff......

...butting in here between Melody's posts, but just to let you know that the "silents" posts have been pushed to the second page--click on "next" at the bottom or click the last msg. (below)...IF you're still inclined that is :-)!