Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pirates of the Carribean??

Just putting this out there to see what TP fans think of today's Pirates, like Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow and the Pirates of the Carribean series--

One thing for certain, the action was more focused in Ty's movies, like Zorro, Black Swan, and certainly we can understand what everyone said. I couldn't make out half the dialogue in the current P of C that opened this weekend!!!

And off the topic, the Tyrone Box Set really is a nice tribute to TP. And about time!!!!

MV

Re: Pirates of the Carribean??

The first POTC is a solid fun movie, and Depp's character is a funny charmer. The 2nd and 3rd installments were done just so Disney could make a fortune.

It's funny you ask about POTC. Roeper, who is Roger Ebert's co-critic (he took over Gene Siskell's spot) mentioned Tyrone and Errol Flynn in his POTC3 review. He wondered what these men would've thought of the special effects. Roeper liked the movie, which surprises me since it blew pretty badly, lol.

Re: Re: Pirates of the Carribean??

Kerry--it makes one wonder which plot are they a part of? I don't recall which character said it (Depp??) but there was a line something to the effect of "we'll make it up as we go along"--

My friend and I looked at each other and agreed that they did!

Re: Re: Re: Pirates of the Carribean??

It's one of those movies where I wish I had brought a flashlight and a book into the theater, LOL!

saw this over the weekend.....

...and I thought it was a disaster. A couple behind me walked out. what a bloated, overlong mess. A shame really 'cause the Depp character is one of the best pirate characters ever put on film.

And the darned thing made about 400mil worldwide in its opening weekend (that fell down about 60% apparently, in the 2nd weekend).

I don't think E. Flynn and T. Power combined could have saved this one.

Did anyone stay until the very end of the credits (I did, 'cause I 'enjoyed' the film so much!!)? They added a key scene after all the credits ran out.

j.

Key Scene??

Joanne--what was it?

Re: Key Scene??

they had one at the end of the second one as well, showing the dog now being worshiped by the canibals :-)!

Anywho, this one started with a shot at an edge of a cliff overlooking the sea with the title, "Ten Years Later". Keira Knightley is shown with a small boy---he must be ten years old :-). It's close to sunset and they go towards the end of the cliff to see a ship approaching. It's the 'Dutchman' (not 100% on that phantom/fish ship's name) and then we get a closeup of Orlando Bloom on the ship, clearly 'coming home' for the night to visit the wife and child. that's how it ends.

More and more films seem to tack something on at the end (particularly the animated stuff) that I stick around even if the film baaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Re: Re: Key Scene??

Yes, I definitely missed that. I thought it was something with her and the chest where his heart is.

Will check that out when it comes out on DVD, which I'm sure will be soon--they'll market that fast.

I agree with you that Johnny Depp's character (Captain Jack Sparrow) was the best of the films. I did like the scene where he's incarcerated in the 3rd film and his alter egos are leaving the cell and the one last to leave says he can't as he's lost his brain! The other scene (his first in this film) was good, but played too long.

I actually like Johnny Depp for this current generation of actors--he's not afraid to do off the wall stuff (like Willy Wonka), but also films like Chocolat, Secret Window, Neverland. There, I feel, he has some kindred spirit to Ty in doing roles that challenge or vary his ability.

MV

Re: Re: Re: Key Scene??

HA! The kid in the end looked more like Jack Sparrow than Will Turner!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Key Scene??

LOL!! Too true. Well, she had more chemistry with Depp than she did with Bloom (no chemistry at all, actually I didn't think)

Re: Re: Re: Key Scene??

He's one of the best and clearly isn't in it for the money but the varied work he can get. (and let's face it, he is the entire POTC franchise, imho.)

I've been converted ever since "Ed Wood". Have you seen that Melody? Wonderful film and a very nice performance from Martin Landau as well.

Depp/Ed Wood

I'm trying to recall--I don't think so--need to check that.

I like Depp in another one where he plays a gypsy and Christina Ricci is searching for her father after having to leave Russia, ending up in England then in Paris and finally finding her father in Hollywood with a whole new life and family. Johnny does a fine job as the gypsy horseman.

MV

Ed Wood is awesome

I love Depp's accent in that movie, "Come on guys, get yourself a cup of joe!"

HA! Best scene ever is when the studio guys are previewing that one movie where Ed spliced a buffalo stampede over the Bela footage. HA! It's so stupid and doesn't make sense. And Bela is laughing like a goon. I laugh at that every time!

Re: Ed Wood is awesome

Have to see this again--long overdue for a another viewing---the buffalo stampede scene alone, that you mention :-). Arguably, Depp's best performance. Gets very moving as well, towards the end with the Lagosi dying, etc.

Re: Re: Ed Wood is awesome

There's some kind of retirement home for old stars...I remember hearing about it. It might be the Lillian Booth Actor's Home. I just remember thinking it was interesting...actors need retirement care, too. Bela was one of them that needed a place like this.

Re: Re: Re: Ed Wood is awesome

It really was tragic how he ended up. so undeserved. Ed Wood was a big help, no doubt.

Don't they have a more secure program and/or retirement homes for actors nowadays (think they do, at least)?

j.