Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Aging

Looking at these articles backed up my opinion that Tyrone aged after coming back from WW2. He was dreamy beautiful up until about a year after the War ended. It's like the stuff he saw in war and his divorce with Annabella stressed him so badly you could see it in his face. He truly began to look older than his years at that point.

On Lyn's King of 20th Century TP site, there is a letter TP wrote to Watson Webb...I had no idea TP saw the aftermath of the atomic bombs. The way he worded it, I think he personally saw what happened. That probably took a huge toll on him.

He was a very sensitive guy. I have no doubt that Tyrone battled more than your everyday depressions. I think he was clinically depressed, and kept looking for that woman who would give him his son.

Look at him in that one article from 56...he is only 42 there, and yet he looks 52.

I am currently 31...Tyrone was 31 in the last year of the War, 1945. He looks a lot older than I do.

Add all the smoking, drinking, and the problem ticker to the aftershock he felt over the War and those divorces, you've got a guy who always carried 10 more years on his face.

He was always a handsome man, but you can really see the change after Annabella and the War.

Re: Aging

He DID look like he was in his 50's sad to say. and yes the features hardened after the he came back from the war. Ironically, I think despite the fact that he didn't live as hard as E. Flynn, did, even the later aged a bit better (even though Flynn didn't age well either, looked years older than his yrs., etc.
(I think the smoking and the back heart were the main culprits, however.)

j.

Re: Re: Aging

One day my "ex" was watching Witness for the Prosecution with me and asked me how old Ty was while filming this role. My boyfriend was already into his early 50s by then whereas Ty was in early 40s. My boyfriend commented, "I don't look as old as that, do I?", and it was true. Even with my boyfriend being in his early 50s, Ty did look more mature.

I think people aged quicker back then. Even teens looked more mature than our kids do today, or so I've noticed.

Re: Re: Re: Aging

I think people aged quicker back then. Even teens looked more mature than our kids do today, or so I've noticed.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Aging

The other thing I find interesting is the some health reports note that we didn't have heart disease in the late 1800s and early 1900s as we have today. Some claim it's due to the unhealthy fats and processed foods that were developed as the 20th century progressed.

I'm sure the popularity of smoking also factored in, and Ty (as said many times before) was quite heavy--but who thought of it then?