Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: bad reviews

I think the co-stars got decent reviews, yes--could be wrong (?) It seems that the plays, themselves, left a lot to be desired.

Goes to show what a 'teflon effect' he had to a certain extent, in that even with plays that were trashed he remained unaffected critique-wise. He would have had a heck of theatre career, imho :-).

Re: Re: Re: bad reviews

I have to agree with you there. He would have had a commanding presence on stage, especially with his voice. It would have been nice to see him live, and thankfully, we do have his films.

I wish they'd have more old films fests here in Chicago (or nearby). We have indies, international, Latin--we need more of the early films, too.

MV

Re: Re: Re: Re: bad reviews

Do you have any film theaters that play vintage films at all, Melody?

We have the "Brattle" here in Boston and they play films from the 30's-50's practically every month, so I'm very lucky in that respect. Still, they've never had anything on TP :-(.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: bad reviews

Sadly, I think Tyrone Power gets the back of the hand still from lots of critics and movie fans. The situation with TCM doesn't help. If your movie house ever has a Noir festival, Nightmare Alley would be a great suggestion.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: bad reviews

We have the Music Box and Facets Multimedia that will do festivals, or play the oldies but goodies.

When Nightmare Alley was re-released (prior to DVD release), Music Box showed it as a weekend feature in their smaller theatre. I went for the 11:30 feature on Saturday, and there were a good number of people in attendance.

Maybe I should suggest a Tyrone Power film fest at the Music Box (or even Facets), or to add some of them to their weekend oldies.

Some of this may be the public speaking up to show an interest.

MV

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: bad reviews

I think you're right. Asking for a film fest of sorts, certainly let's them know there's interest.

he *does* seem to get short shrift :-(!

saw "Nightmare Alley" as well (prior to the dvd release) [nfm]

Re: saw "Nightmare Alley" as well (prior to the dvd release) [nfm]

I'd like that movie if John Payne was in it. I have the dvd now. My oldest son, daughter, and her boyfriend watched it two years ago and were very disturbed. Last night I showed it to another son and it knocked him out. I am glad Ty made it;very gutsy of him. If anyone tells me Tyrone Power couldn't really act, I direct them to Nightmare.

Re: bad reviews

A Quiet Place was a beyond dreadful experience for him.

He received excellent reviews for John Brown's Body, very good reviews for Mr. Roberts, Devil's Disciple, good reviews for "The Dark is Light Enough" and I can't remember "Back to Methusalah."

Re: Re: bad reviews

It seems Methuselah was trashed as well. Although, I thought it was great after reading these largely bad reviews, that he came out, on a whole, largely unscathed.