Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mark of Zorro (The Play)

That does sound like a lot of fun, Melody - I'd love to hear your thoughts after you see it. The kids and John and I were involved in the Bisbee Repertory Theatre for several years...all the actors (well, most all of them) really did throw themselves into each performance ... I bet TP would have been amazing to see on stage =)

Re: Mark of Zorro (The Play)

This is great Melody! Many thanks--it DOES look like fun :-)!

Re: Re: Mark of Zorro (The Play)

This was a really fun play--they based it on the original pulp fiction novel of Johnston McCulley (which I found out was from Illinois!). The young many that portrayed Diego and Zorro really gave it his all, and although didn't play Diego too fopishly, did bring in the matter of how "fatiguing" everything is, from courting Lolita, to swordplay, to even riding his horse. There was a scene about kissing Lolita and she comments, "of course, unless you find that too is fatiguing!"

They managed to do swordplay within a confining stage and set, and it was very effective. The play has been recommended by our Jeff Awards (kind of like the Obies in NY), so it really brought in merit.

We also got to stay and talk with the director and the actor that played Diego/Zorro came in and chatted with us as well. He did comment that while he saw the first Antonio Banderas movie (he's quite young, mid-20s), he didn't watch TP or Guy Williams so that he could bring his own interpretation.

I think Ty would have enjoyed it and certainly would admired the energy, and even the "fatigue".

Re: Re: Re: Mark of Zorro (The Play)

I'm kinda jealous of you Melody, being able to see it :-)!!!! It sounds like they did a nice job (the award you mention is proof positive, it seems!)

Yeah, the "fatigue" scene must have been a hoot!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mark of Zorro (The Play)

Yes, it sounds like it was a lot of fun, and well done too - I sure am hoping to get up to Chicago and see a show sometime =)