Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Special Features (featurettes)

I didn't have time to look at any movies last night, but watched the featurettes. One in particular has all three children talking about their father, starting with Ty, Jr., then Taryn, and lastly, Romina. I liked the way this was done. There are combinations of publicity and family stills and movies, some family movies. There's a great family movie clip at the pool where Ty wears a swim cap and starts making funny faces. We always hear about his sense of humor and this is a great example of it.

They also comments on how people show up for the anniversary of his passing and that more people come each year. This will be the 50th anniversary.

Also, at the end of Ty Jr.'s commentary, there is a picture of him with HIS son, Ty V. While you can't see all of the little boy's face (the mouth and chin are behind Ty IV's shoulder), you do see those eyes and nose and there is no mistaking whose grandson he is.

The other featurettes, Prince of Fox, Jayne Meadows' reflections, are also nicely done. I think anyone who buys this collection will enjoy it very much.

Kind of makes me want to check into the anniversary gathering this fall . . . hmmmmmmmm!

Re: Special Features (featurettes) addendum

I forgot to mention the featurette on Ty and Loretta Young. This is also well done, covering Ty's earliest films. They comment at the end about Anabella coming on the scene in Suez and Loretta taking the hint about her own stardom, Ty's rising star and now a new French actress having more of a role in the film than Loretta did, although Loretta certainly has a prominent role.

Loretta's daughter does the reminiscing (didn't know Loretta was married to Clark Gable!).

Re: Re: Special Features (featurettes) addendum

<>>Loretta's daughter does the reminiscing (didn't know Loretta was married to Clark Gable!).

THEY WEREN'T. THEIR DAUGHTER, JUDY, WAS THE RESULT OF AN AFFAIR LORETTA YOUNG HAD WITH C. GABLE DURING THE FILMING OF 'THE CALL OF THE WILD' IN 1935 (NICE FILM, BY THE WAY).

YOUNG, BEING A STRICT CATHOLIC KEPT THE BABY BUT HAD IT IN 'SECRET'. I.E. SHE WENT ON A TRIP AND/OR ON A SABBATICAL (CAN'T RECALL, UNFORTUNATELY) HAD THE BABY AND THEN CAME BACK 'BABYLESS.' SEVERAL MONTHS LATER, SHE ADOPTED TWO BABY GIRLS. ONE OF THEM BEING HER OWN, ALTHOUGH IT WASN'T STATED AS SUCH. NOT TOO LONG THEREAFTER THE OTHER CHILD WAS RETURNED AND JUDY, OF COURSE, STAYED.

YOUNG NEVER ADMITTED TO HER DAUGHTER THAT SHE WAS GABLE'S CHILD EVEN AFTER JUDY WROTE A BOOK ABOUT IT.

APPARENTLY, GABLE VISITED HER ONCE WHEN SHE WAS 15 AND SHE FOUND HIM TO BE VERY LIKEABLE AND PERSONABLE.

I COULD BE WRONG, BUT I THINK TO HER DYING DAY L.Y. NEVER DID ADMIT THAT TO HER DAUGHER (BUT I COULD BE MISREMEMBERING)

Re: Special Features (featurettes)

Loretta Young wasn't married to Clark Gable. They had an affair, Loretta became pregnant out of wedlock and secretly gave birth to daughter Judy. Here's the skinny from Wikipedia:

Affair with Clark Gable

In 1935, Young had an affair with Clark Gable, who was married at the time, while on location for The Call of the Wild. During their relationship, Young became pregnant. Due to the moral codes placed on the film industry Young covered up her pregnancy in order to avoid damaging her career (as well as Gable's). Returning from a long "vacation" (during which she secretly gave birth to her daughter), Young announced that she had adopted the infant girl. The child was raised as "Judy Lewis" after taking the name of Young's second husband, producer Tom Lewis.

According to Lewis's autobiography Uncommon Knowledge, Lewis was made fun of because of the ears that she received from her father, Clark Gable. In the documentary Girl 27, she states that, at 7, she had an operation to "pin back" her large ears and that her mother always had her wearing bonnets as a child. Over the years she had heard rumors and secretly knew that Clark Gable was her biological father, but it was not until 1958 when Judy's future husband Joseph Tinney told her that "everybody" knew the rumors that she really began to suspect.

Several years later, after becoming a mother herself, she finally confronted her mother, who, after promptly vomiting, admitted to her true parentage, stating that she (Judy) was a "just a walking mortal sin."

Loretta Young

A "walking mortal sin"? Wow! What a statement!

Now I have more reading to do!