Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Solomon and Sheba

This was on recently and I'll be darned if I can spot TP in the long shots :-(. Actually, I have yet to spot him in Tom Brown's School Days. Ah well.

Has anyone else sighted anything in S&S?

Re: Solomon and Sheba

I think there are some videos mounted on YouTube.

It's been a long time since I've seen Solomon and Sheba--several years, in fact!

Re: Re: Solomon and Sheba

I happened to watch Solomon and Sheba just the other week. Despite a rather large TV screen, I can't spot Ty either.

I would like to mention the actor who played Pharaoh, David Farrar. You wouldn't know it from S&S, but back home in the U.K. he was one of the finest and most virile of British actors both on stage and screen. Unfortunately he tried his hand at Hollywood and the role of Pharaoh is the one-dimensional type of thing he got stuck with. A few other roles like that effectively ended his career and he retired from acting at age 50. :(

Fortunately his fine work in British film is available (partly) on DVD and I would really like to recommend two movies: Black Narcissus, which takes place in the Himalayas and in which he is the object de lust of a neurotic British nun; and especially The Small Back Room, in which he is a tormented bomb expert who is fighting both the bottle and the German blitz of London. Both films were directed by the team of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, who are most famous for The Red Shoes but also made many other wonderful movies (including a third with Farrar, Gone to Earth, sadly not available on DVD in the U.S.)

By the way, the neurotic nun in Black Narcissus and the girlfriend in The Small Back Room are both played by Kathleen Byron, who you all know because she is the Duchess of Devonshire in I'll Never Forget You. :)

Re: Re: Re: Solomon and Sheba

You're probably going to kick me for this, but I have to admit that I never really got it with David Farrar. He was a rather wooden and one note actor I thought and still can't quite fathom how he would entice even the nun from Black Narcissus into the frenzy that he did. Ditto for the J. Jones character in Gone to Earth (although that wasn't a particularly likeable part, so it's not entirely his fault I suppose.)

He probably offered more on stage, however (?)