Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
article/Spanish commemorative nspr. added

One article and a Spanish commemorative newspaper published at the time of TP's death added. Spanish newspaper has many rare photos.

[SPANISH COMMEMORATIVE NEWSPAPER] "Fallecio el Actor Tyrone Power Ayer" Cine Mundial, Noviembre '58

"With Thanks to Broadway New York" , Modern Screen, 3/37

Re: article/Spanish commemorative nspr. added

Wow--Joanne--they really outdid themselves. I know he was well liked in Spain (and obviously Italy as well).

This is amazing--where did you find it?

Re: Re: article/Spanish commemorative nspr. added

Here's a translation of the first page, the one with two photos of Ty, one from The Black Swan and the other I think from Rawhide. I'll do the second page later. Oh man, it's sad reading this!

44 Years Old… Tyrone has died

The famous film actor was struck down and died in Madrid, where he was filming Solomon and Sheba under the direction of King Vidor…two pictures of the late actor, in roles from the many films he made as a movie star…

Madrid, November 15 (AFP) – Film actor Tyrone Power died suddenly today in the capital city, at the age of 44.

The cause of his death is still unknown but it is believed that he had an attack of chest angina while he was performing a fight with actor Geoge Sanders in a scene from Solomon and Sheba, whose leading female role is played by the beautiful Italian actress Gina Lollabrigida.

The main scenes of the film were shot in a remote desert region of the province of Zaragoza, but director King Vidor had decided the duel scene would be shot in the Sevilla Films studios in Madrid.

That is where Tyrone Power was fell ill in front of his frightened colleagues. He was immediately moved to a Madrid clinic where he died instantly upon arrival.

The announcement of the death of the actor, who was greatly respected in Spain as much by the film community as the general public, produced genuine shock and the news spread like wildfire.

Re: Re: Re: article/Spanish commemorative nspr. added

>That is where Tyrone Power was fell ill in front of his frightened colleagues.

Should read, of course:

That is where Tyrone Power fell ill in front of his colleagues...

Sorry. I hate typos!

Re: Re: Re: Re: article/Spanish commemorative nspr. added

Thanks, Peachtreegal! I'm able to speak and read Spanish, though rusty--I read better than speak it.

I know the Spanish and also Latin Americans had a high regard for the way Ty portrayed Spanish characters on screen. Also, I'm sure the Latin American trip he took with Cesar Romero also helped to foster their affection and admiration.

I've told the story in other discussions on how I first saw TP in Blood and Sand right after grade school graduation, age 14, on a late night TV broadcast and I was mesmerized. (Of course, I also loved Zorro in my very young years but didn't put the two together as Tyrone Power until later.)

I recall the movie ran well past midnight, but I was on summer vacation--and totally awestruck!

He does capture the Latin spirit very well. Ole!

Melody-Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: article/Spanish commemorative nspr. added

Hi M, can't for the life of me remember where I got this one. It's been sitting around for a while, however, & thought it might be a good idea to (finally) add it.

Re: Re: Re: article/Spanish commemorative nspr. added

Wow, thanks SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH Peachtree!! Can't tell you what a treat it is to see this!!! I don't read Spanish and it's more than a bit frustrating to see what looks like a great article and not be able to read it. So a big thanks from this grateful reader!!!

Re: article/Spanish commemorative nspr. added

I just realized... there are 13 pages of this stuff! It's going to take forever to translate and I don't have much free time... but I'll try to do a little bit every day, or every other day. I have to confess that reading all these articles is rather depressing. I hate thinking about how untimely Ty's death was and how bereft so many people must have been. (I was a toddler at the time so I don't remember it first-hand.)

At least I'm finally putting that Spanish major from college to work. :)