Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Spanish Articles page 2

I have to admit that this is quite fascinating! A bit of a morbid fascination, true, but it contains some great info. no doubt about it! Who knew that the costume they removed "only his leather arm bands and the sandals tied to his legs," not to mention the "rigorous treatment" he was given. All so said and poignant, imho.

Could be wrong on this but I'm guessing the European press at that time (and maybe even now) was a bit more forthcoming. Not to mention given to slightly more effusive language, a.k.a. "the magnificent actor". It's great that they didn't shy away from any emotionalism!

Thanks soooooooooo much Peachtreegal! I know what you mean about the multi pages! Speaking from my end, ONLY if you have time, etc. and even want to do this, for as you say it's time consuming! (Will admit it's great stuff ,though :-)!

Re: Re: Spanish Articles page 2

:::Not to mention given to slightly more effusive language, a.k.a. "the magnificent actor".

Newspaper Spanish can be VERY florid (a literal translation would sound really strange) -- not to mention all the run-on sentences with multiple clauses. As my grandma would say, Oy vay! (That's not Spanish). :) :) :) I'm trying for a kind of colloquial English with a Spanish flavor to it.

Arm bands really isn't the phrase I wanted -- there's a word in English for those leather things you wear around your wrists and upper arms and I just couldn't think of it. I bet someone else here knows what that word is.

Re: Re: Spanish Articles page 2

...meant "sad" instead of "said"! (Who knows what planet I was on!)