Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone Power Jr.

Hi Joanne,

I'm glad that you appreciate Tyrone Power as much as I do. Of all the matinee idols that I can think of, I think he wins the prize when it comes to being the most handsome one. Yes, "This Above All" is another wonderful film. I also love Joan Fontaine! I always watch "Luck Of The Irish" with the greenish tint. I think it makes the film very special that way. I'm really very grateful that this new movie collection was finally released. And there are still quite a few movies to go, so I hope they will be released as well. My very favorite Tyrone Power movie is the "Eddy Duchin Story." And I think that "Yank In The RAF" is one of his most romantic films, although, lol, he was a great romancer in every single movie. Oh yes. I also love "Jesse James." Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda worked beautifully together! Carolyn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone Power Jr.

I know what you mean regarding "This Above All." It blew me away when I first saw it as it was such a DIFFERENT role for TP to play. Very unlike the roles he had done up to that time. I, too, like Fontaine and I think their 1st meeting in the dark is one of the best intros for characters I've seen in film.

As for "Luck/Irish", I adore the 1st half hour in particular and thought TP had an untapped comedic touch that was front and center here (chuckle at the character's good natured teasing of the inkeeper, for starters.)

"Duchin' is good, yes, but it's not one of my favorites. "Witness/Prosecution" is my favorite latter TP film. As for "Jesse James", can't agree more he was blindingly beautiful in that one :-)!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone Power Jr.

Hi Joanne,

Tyrone Power worked beautifully with Joan Fontaine. But then, lol, he worked so well with many women. I love his movies with Gene Tierney! "Son of Fury" is one of my favorites! I love all of "Luck of the Irish" - from start to finish. Yes, Tyrone Power has a comedic touch, and it is such a delight to watch him in that movie. Lol, I just love the way that the leprechaun keeps turning up! It's so funny at the end of the movie when you see multiple leprechauns at the meeting, lol. And I'm so glad that Stephen ends up marrying Nora at the end! Nora is the gentle, sensitive type, and Anne Baxter is a very lovely actress. The two of them work magic together. I watched "Witness for the Prosecution" the other day. I hadn't seen it in a number of years, and I had forgotten how it ended. It's a fabulous movie, and of course, Marlene Dietrich is also very excellent. Yes, Tyrone Power was incredibly handsome in "Jesse James." And interestingly, after I had watched "Jesse James," I learned that a sequel had been done - "The Return of Jesse James." And that's a wonderful movie too. Henry Fonda is wonderful.

Carolyn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone Power Jr.

Hi Carolyn, agree, he was well paired with Anne Baxter and they had great chemistry, IMHO. Particularly in Luck/Irish. He showed his comedic chops in "Second Honeymoon", too, I thought; his teasing of Loretta Young over her new husband, for one. What did you think of that one?

As for Jesse James, if you get a chance, check out the excerts from "The Making of Jesse James." It has some hilarious passages regarding how crazy the local girls were for TP. Although, Henry Fonda wasn't bad either :-)!

chapter 3
chapter 4

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone Power Jr.

Hi Joanne,

Yes, I agree that Tyrone Power also worked beautifully with Loretta Young, I also loved the teasing. And, lol, he knows how to do it in a very romantic way. Thanks for telling me about the excerpts from "The Making of Jesse James." Whenever I take out any of my Tyrone Power dvds, I always seem to watch the movies themselves over and over again. I really should watch some of the other stuff too, like the trailers and the behind the scene stuff. That stuff is also very interesting and provides lots of insight into the making of the movies and Tyrone Power's life. Lol, now that you mention it, I can't blame those girls for falling for Tyrone Power, lol.
Carolyn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone Power Jr.

yeah, the extras are fun as well and like you say they provide a lot of new info. in some cases. They're entertaining to boot. TP's children are in two documentaries and that's always fascinating.

As for the girls going crazy, if memory serves someone had posted here at one point that the chorus girls in "Alexander's Ragtime Band" would have trouble concentrating whenever he was on set. LOL :-)!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone Power Jr.

Joanne,

I will definitely start watching some of those extras. Speaking of Tyrone Power's children, you should to to youtube and do a "Third Eye Blonde" search. The guy in that video is Tyrone Power, Jr. He's very handsome like his father! Lol, that's so funny that the chorus girls couldn't concentrate. I know one thing. If I had been a member of that chorus, I also would have been very distracted. Oh, how I wish I had been Betty Grable or Gene Tierney or any of those women who were in Tyrone Power's arms, lol. It would have been wonderful

Carolyn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone Power Jr.

Alice Faye said that kissing TP was like dying and going to heaven! LOL!

Will definitely check out "Third Eye Blonde", Carolyn, many thanks :-)!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone Power Jr.

Joanne,

Enjoy "Third Eye Blonde." That's wonderful that Betty Grable said that. And she's right. Lol, what could be more wonderful than being kissed and hugged by the absolute cutest and most handsome guy, lol. I'm really very partial to "A Yank in the RAF." Of course, that's the one with Betty Grable. In my opinionn, that movie earns him the prize for being the best romancer. There are so many great scenes. I love the way he gently teases her with that cute look on his face. And then I love it when he's in bed in the, lol, maternity ward, and the nurse takes his temp and he says "Hey, you're cute." My very favorite scene in the movie is when Betty Grable is on the couch and kicking because he's forcing the ring on her finger. Sigh. Oh to be Betty Grable!

Carolyn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone Power Jr.

Ah to be Betty Grable indeed :-)! You're going to kick me here but I've completely forgotten about the maternity ward scene! Sad. Will have to re-watch it now :-)!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone Power Jr.

Joanne,

Enjoy and have fun watching the movie again! Lol, I've seen this movie about 5 times now. The maternity ward scene is quite funny! I just love the entire movie. Lol, the thing that drives me wild is the way that he romances her. I love the look he gets in his eye and the way that he keeps on trying and doesn't give up. Lol, and it turns out to be all worth it in the end. Thank goodness she didn't fall for Morley!

Carolyn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone Power Jr.

It is a terribly cute relationship and he ALWAYS has that twinkle in his eye and you can see they're crazy about each other from the first reel.

Another favorite scene is when both he and the other officer watch her floor show and eventually they find out they're there for the same girl. Love it!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone Power Jr.

Hi Joanne,

Yes, that floor show scene is cute. There are so many cute scenes in this movie. Another one is when Tyrone Power aka Tim Baker notices that he and Morley go in for the same type of flowers in their lapels, lol. And I love the scene where Tim comes to Carol's apartment, and pretends to be wounded and she props his foot up on a pillow. However, my favorite scene is still the one where he's forcing the ring on her finger, lol.

Carolyn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone Power Jr

I have GOT to watch this now :-)!!!!

He really was the classic likeable rogue in this one (always a glint in the eye and the killer smile :-)!!)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone Powe

Hi Joanne,

Enjoy the movie! I will also be watching it again. Lol, it will be about the sixth time I've seen it. I love the entire movie. Tyrone Power is as handsome as can be starting with the beginning when he's wearing the leather jacket and the shades and he steps out of the airplane.

Carolyn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New video of Tyrone

Too true! yet another killer look from TP :-)!