Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: captain from castile..life size..

Heart be still--wow that is breath-taking!

Can you imagine being face to face with Tyrone Power in a scene and not being able to even speak because of being awestruck??? Imagine him walking into a room--it really must have been something back then.

Fantastic, Joanne!

is this Melody (above) :-)? [nfm]

Re: is this Melody (above) :-)? [nfm]

Yes--that was me--not sure what happened there!

I guess the sight of Ty being so blown up made me too awestruck!

Re: Re: Re: captain from castile..life size..

Joanne,

Jean Peters sure was lucky!! She got to ride on horseback with him and throw her arms around him. Imagine! And Maureen O'Hara was carried by him and, lol, he even tried to pull up her dress after she fell from the horse and he was checking to make sure that she was okay. I also would have loved to have been in Betty Grable's place. I love that scene where she is on the couch and kicking and he's forcing the ring on her finger. Again, this headshot is superb!! I would love to see others! It would be such a treat!!

Carolyn

Re: Re: Re: Re: captain from castile..life size..

Hi Carolyn,

the reason why this is so clear at this size is that original is even bigger (had to make it smaller size-wise believe it or not). Love the fact that even the pores are up close and personal :-). (Have one more large format mag that has a gorgeous head shot of him (was it ever anything else!) from his younger days (actually the same pic that's used on the main page of this site). Will do add that very soon.

castile

I have to admit that Captain/Castile is one of my least favorite TP films. It's overly long, not particuarly well written and doesn't hold the interest (to this viewer at least). About one of the few good things I can say about it is the Newman score.

No doubt I'm in the minority however :-).

Re: castile

Hi Joanne,

Well, I wouldn't say that this movie is my favorite, but it's not one of those that I dislike the most. I guess I would put it in between. I do like the movie a lot because for me, it has lots of excitement and action. And it's kind of historical as well, and that keeps my interest. I also think the movie is beautifully filed in color.

Carolyn

Re: Re: castile

I like the first half of the movie. It really begins to drag in the second half, and then kind of dribbles off into an ending.

The score is one of the great ones though. And the location photography sumptuous... the active volcano in the background is amazing.

Oh, and that photo is a stunner!

If you're talking about least favorite Tyrone Power movies, then Untamed has to be right up there for me. One of the few times for me that Ty really seems to be walking through a part. (That's just one of its problems.) Maybe if I ever get to see it in widescreen, my opinion will improve. Though even in yucky pan and scan the location photography (again) is lovely.

Re: Re: Re: castile

This is one of mine, though I Peachtreegal is correct that the second half is more slow moving.

But it is a beautiful film and I thought the chemistry between Ty and Jean was good. Of course, I love the way she runs after dancing with him and he catches up to her--I play the dance sequence and the catch scene a few times over when watching this movie.

Re: Re: Re: Re: castile / untamed

I have to agree with Peachtreegal's and Melody's assessment. It *does* dribble off, although I think it starts to do so much sooner than towards the end never quite recovers. The production is largely bloated and, well, downright dull for the practically the entire duration (TP's curly hair doesn’t' help either, but I'm digressing :-). The saving grace is the music and yes, the cinematography.

As for the performances, Lee J. Cobb almost steals the show and as Melody says, that dance scene is veeeeery steamy, no doubt about it :-)!

However, to think that he did this after "Nightmare Alley" (like going from A back to Z). From his perspective, you can see why he started to get disenchanted with his late 40's career.

As for "Untamed," yep another disappointment. Would think a paycheck was the main motivation for that one as there didn't seem to be any room to stretch as far as the character he played. Still, it contains another nice love scene, I think, in the beginning between him and Hayward (an actress who was far better than the material given her here as well, imho; it's almost more interesting to watch Agnes Moorhead in her pre-Endora days).