Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Spanish articles Page 6

Better late than never... I'm convinced the writer hadn't seen the film when he wrote this, but based his piece on photos and a synopsis! Plus the writing is AWFUL... this guy is the king of run-on sentences (check out the one about the general). :) With the occasional incomplete sentence thrown in to balance out the run-on ones, I guess. :) And he mistakes Michele Morgan for Annabella... sheesh.

Financial Index

TYRONE

•His latest film, now triumphing in Mexico, began its third week of resounding success

Of course now the films of Tyrone Power are valued more, because of the sad, dramatic aura obtained by all who die, regardless of their social status.

Tyrone was one of the favorite actors of the entire public, without exception. Including, of course, the Mexican audience.

The most recent demonstration -- the current proof – is the success of Tyrone’s latest film, screening in Mexico City. Not the last film, we mean, filmed [by Tyrone] but in theaters in Mexico: Abandon Ship [El Mar no perdona = The Sea Does Not Forgive].

This film, which is screening in a first-run theater in the capital has already been in release for three weeks.

The plot is a dramatic one. Tyrone, by pure accident, his life governed by random chance, becomes the captain of a boat which is shipwrecked when it collides with a mine. In a lifeboat that has about 20 survivors. The shipwrecked passengers choose Tyrone to be the captain as the former captain has died. This includes Tyrone putting on the dead man’s uniform. And so begins his command over the shipwrecked survivors. A violent, bitter, extraordinarly difficult command. He must ration the food. Also, the water…

Various stories cross with the one the makeshift Captain Tyrone Power must live: the party girl who is obsessed with flirting and retains some of her spirit in spite of the drama she is experiencing; the Italian man in love with the flirt; the balding veteran general with the broad pate and sculpted features who resembles a Roman senator, and who sees the dismaying choices that life presents during this time when death blows a foul breeze over the faces of those condemned to die; the writer, also on the boat of death, with the keen, sharp look of one who deep down is enjoying the entire drama in hopes of surviving and writing about it in his next book…

Tyrone, in this Columbia production, has a passionate romance with Mai Zetterling, who was his lover before the disaster. She looks upset, as if to indicate her astonishment towards everything that develops in her feminine existence. This woman in love with Tyrone reminds us of the French actress Michele Morgan from some years ago, who had the same severe expression that was, at the same time, very sweet. Youthful Mai, who is the other lead along with Tyrone, is a nurse. And, of course, she is Tyrone’s ally during their oceanic escape.

Unusual human reactions by Tyrone and the other survivors when they try to save the life of a dog, while dispensing with the lives of human beings. But in the shipwrecked people’s lifeboat, the old people and those with the least chance of survival, are abandoned in the open sea, in order to lighten the boat’s load, to save food, to save water…

In contrast to this, the dog is a valuable element: before long it will be necessary to use him as food for the survivors…

Photo caption:

The story’s unforseen disaster make him captain of a boat of shipwrecked passengers. The actor’s character dominates a subject full of drama and action.

Re: Re: Re: Spanish articles Page 6

Yes, I see what you mean :-)! He may have had just a promo sheet to go on as well, who knows. (Wonder if they'll ever release this one on dvd?)

These transalations are fascinating, Peachtree!!! It's like being at the bakery shop and being able to pick everything you want :-)!! Great stuff and I do think the European perspective was a bit different from the US one.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Spanish articles Page 6

Hi, Joanne, I'm beginning to think that these articles are actually from Mexico, but with a lot of wire stories from Spain. The first article on page 8 is a really nice piece about Ty's Mexican associations, including his very friendly relationship with his ex-in-laws (Linda Christian's mother and sister). (I'm looking forward to translating that one because I think you'll all enjoy it a lot).

Do you know the source of these articles? I'm wondering if we can confirm they're from a Mexican newspaper...?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Spanish articles Page 6

Yes, I think you're probably right. Looking at the copyright (for lack of a better description) and address info. the subscription addy is: Mexico, 6 messes: $80.00; un ano $150.00. Also, the "local Distribucion" lists a Mexican address as well (i.e., Union de Expendidores y Voceadores de los Periodicos de Mexico) at least it seems that way :-).

So, yes it looks like you're absolutely right.