Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crash Dive

Good point or points, Carolyn.

Definitely have to love that guy!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crash Dive

I don't know I may have to disagree with you on this one Carolyn as it seemed that it was the type of role that Fox gave him all too often. The standouts from these early 40's years, to this viewer at least were Blood/Sand, Mark of Zorro (!!) and This Above All (he truly went against type with that one)

This Above All

I watched this this past weekend. Really an excellent film! Adding to my list of top favorites.

Re: This Above All

It really is. As many times as I've seen it up to now, it never wears thin.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crash Dive

By the way, in the original novel of The Black Swan, the Jamie character (called Charles de Bernis in the novel) is a consummate gentleman who treats Priscilla (Margaret in the movie) with the greatest consideration......But she proves she's a true lady by caring not a whit about his past, and falling in love him for his strength, gentility, intelligence and nerve. I'd like to see THAT movie. :)

Wow, would like to see that indeed!!! MUCH sexier as well, I think :-)!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Crash Dive

I'm ashamed to admit that it's been years (!) since I've seen the film and as a result don't recall Ben Carter. Clearly, long overdue for a viewing.

Zanuck seemed to be right on the money ("formula film") with is assessment regarding the film (he really was a cut above the movie moguls of the day, imho, as he was a filmmaker as well) concentrating on the Technicolor photography with was really the real star of the film, I thought.

I agree with your conclusion regarding the character TP played; a road much travelled upon at that point.