Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Brown's Body

I'm sure you've all heard this recording already, but I just listened to the first time to the double LP album of John Brown's Body with Ty, Judith Anderson, Raymond Massey and an a capella chorus. It was a real thrill as the actors were all wonderful and also because it gave a hint of what the stage production must have been like. I kept trying to imagine the actors on stage in their modern-day dress, no sets, bringing the poem to dramatic life through the power of language and music and I'm sure some very evocative lighting and stage movement.

Has anyone else here enjoyed this album?

Re: John Brown's Body

I'm ashamed to admit it's been years and I do have it, so there's no excuse as I have to re-visit it now that you're so enthused about it Melody.

So you found it interesting theatre, then?

(I think this got rave reviews as well.)

Re: Re: John Brown's Body

>I'm ashamed to admit it's been years and I do have it, so there's no excuse as I have to re-visit it now that you're so enthused about it Melody.

*cough* Peachtree here.

>So you found it interesting theatre, then?

Oh yeah!!! And Ty delivers an especially thrilling monologue on the fourth side -- chills go down my spine listening to it. (I'm having fun listening to it on the computer here at work...shhhh.)

>(I think this got rave reviews as well.)

It did, at least the New York Times review that I read.

Re: Re: Re: John Brown's Body

I really have no excuse now and have to go back an re-listen! You're both selling this so well that I have to hear this again!!

(Quickly scanning the "JB" reviews they seem to be unanimously positive from one and all [some are downright gushing]. BTW, if you get a chance, check this out and you'll see what I mean (a href="http://tyforum.bravepages.com/jb.html#one">jp reviews )

Re: Re: Re: Re: John Brown's Body

Hey, Joanne--

Peachtreegal was the one commenting on John Brown's Body--I've never heard it, though I'm sure it would be captivating to listen to, especially with Ty's dramatic voice.

Thanks for giving me credit, but it's Peachtreegal all the way!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: John Brown's Body

Did a message of mine get deleted? I thought I had posted a follow-up to Melody's.

Re: Re: Re: John Brown's Body

"Hey, Joanne--

Peachtreegal was the one commenting on John Brown's Body--I've never heard it, though I'm sure it would be captivating to listen to, especially with Ty's dramatic voice...."*cough* Peachtree here. :)"

Re: : John Brown's Body

Melody, John Brown's Body is essential listening for anyone calling herself a Tyrone Power fan. :) (Raymond Massey and Judith Anderson are wonderful too.) If you want a copy e-mail me at pvitari@emory.edu.