Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spanish Articles Page 9

Rita Macedo was a very well known Mexican actress. I am confused by the reference to the producer Rudolph Lowental, as I cannot find his name on the IMDB his name in connection with Maedchen in Uniform, a ground-breaking 1931 film on the topic of lesbianism, and which had an all-female cast. In fact, I can't find him on the IMDB at all but that doesn't mean anything, the IMDB is full of gaps and mistakes. :)

RITA MACEDO TALKS ABOUT TYRONE FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF THEATER

Exactly two years ago (November 1956) Rita Macedo saw Tyrone Power in a theatrical production which generated popular excitement in London and which was greatly praised by the London critics.

It was The Devil’s Disciple, by George Bernard Shaw, who led a turbulent life as an author, critic and political thinker and who in the later part of his life – like [Spanish poet] Juan Roman Jimenez – won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Macedo knew the Ohio-born actor, who died today, well through her friendship with Linda Christian and Ariadne Welter. Rita kept an indelible memory of this performance.

“If someone thought that Tyrone acted perfectly in the movies because of the cinema’s tricks and effects, seeing him in the theater and performing in a work with the constant obstacles that Shaw’s characters present for actors, he would be convinced of the opposite: Tyrone Power was an actor from head to toe….

“Naturalness. Strong gestures, when the character’s reaction required it. Gentleness with women, when the story was about love. Perfect clarity. Mastery of gesture. Precision in judging the requirements of performance… Tyrone captivated you seeing him live on stage, in front of the lights… Everything about him was overflowing with human qualities.”

So Rita Macedo expresses herself remembering The Devil’s Disciple, written by an Irish author and embodied by a descendent of Irishmen: Tyrone…

Rita Macedo, before going to the theater, spoke with Tyrone. He personally reserved two seats for her and David Gilroy, who was at the time the Mexican actress’ husband and with her was taking a pleasure trip around various European countries.

“TY” VISITED HER IN THE STUDIO

…Eight years ago, the day before Christmas 1950, Rita Macedo was filming in the Churubusco Studios. Tyrone Power went there to visit her.

The Mexican star shared the leading roles with don Fernando Soler and Ernesto Alonso. The film was called The Sinner’s Jewels [Las joyas del pecado] and was produced by Rodolfo Lowetal, the German filmmaker, who had settled in Mexico many years ago and who in his native land had appeared in the wildly successful film Maedchen in Uniform.

Tyrone saw Rita filming several scenes in this film, which was adapted from stories by Guy de Maupassant. It was directed by Alfredo B. Crevenna and the cinematographer was Ortiz Ramos. He spoke with her for a long time, leaving her admiring, once again, of the simplicity, intelligence and electric charm of this famous artist.

Photo caption: The visit of Tyrone Power to the Churubusco Studios, in Mexico City, where Rita Macedo was filming The Sinner's Jewels. In the photo (left to right), Tyrone, the film's director, Alfredo B. Crevenna, the producer Rudolfo (or Rudolph) Lowental and actress Rita Macedo.

Re: Spanish Articles Page 9

Argh. I wish this board had an edit function. I hate seeing typos AFTER I've posted! Oh well. :)

Re: Re: Spanish Articles Page 9

How lucky Ms. Macedo was to see Tyrone on stage, live!!

One can see from his films that he would purport himself well on stage.

I'm glad that Ty did have the chance to do live theatre in his later years along with his films.

Speaking of film and theatre, while Henry Fonda did well in the movie "Mr. Roberts", I'm sure Ty did equally well in the same role in London theatre. I would have loved to have seen the palm tree get thrown overboard by Ty or the bedroom scene when Mr. Roberts talks to the captain--in fact, imagine Ty being in the film with James Cagney.

Again, Henry Fonda did well in that role and I'm not trying to take anything from him, but can't help but think of Ty and James Cagney "squabbling" more than the decks!

(Funny, those combinations we need to enter below--the last to posts had TP in them!)

Re: Re: Re: Spanish Articles Page 9

Yeah, who knows, for even though he received terrific reviews for "Mr. Roberts", it was generally agreed that Hank Fonda was a bit more suited to the role, and I suspect they were right. Fonda had that Everyman persona a bit more, I thought and would have probably served that role a bit better. Still, the good reviews he got for Roberts are telling, IMHO.

What say you?

Re: Spanish Articles Page 9

Great stuff as usual Peachtree :-)!!!

"Naturalness. Strong gestures, when the character’s reaction required it. Gentleness with women, when the story was about love. Perfect clarity. Mastery of gesture. Precision in judging the requirements of performance… Tyrone captivated you seeing him live on stage, in front of the lights… Everything about him was overflowing with human qualities.”

Makes the fact that we couldn't see him on stage all the more bittersweet!! He really must have taken acting to another dimension on stage (or at the very least it may have been more layered).

The 'outside' info. that these aricles offer is fantastic!!