Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spanish Articles, Pages 11-12

I see a light at the end of this particular tunnel... :)

Page 11

HE GAVE HIS LIFE TO THE MOVIES

In the face of Tyrone Power, a man who dedicated his life to film, there remain few traces of the youth of Marie Antoinette, Lloyds of London and other films from his early period.

Page 12

From Hollywood
TYRONE POWER DEFERS TO LAUGHTON
•Accepted a role in Witness for the Prosecution that was not very pleasing and relatively secondary

By Anderson Linderm

Hollywood, Cal., November 16. (S.E.C.M., exclusive for CINEMA MUNDIAL.) As soon as I learned of the death in Spain of Tyrone Power, I called my close friend Jack Sullivan, who was one of the executive producers of Witness for the Prosecution, which has recently been one of the big box office successes among the films made by the actor we mourn today.

Jack told me:

“Given Tyrone’s status, the role he played in Witness for the Prosecution was insignificant…

“However, he accepted the character because of his friendship with Charles Laughton, the film’s lead, in this version of Agatha Christie’s story.

“It didn’t take much work for Laughton to convince Tyrone, who respected the veteran actor greatly.

“Moreover, Tyrone’s acceptance of the role was admirable on his part, because it was a dangerous move for his career, considering the prevalent attitude among American actors: a leading man (and Tyrone was a leading man, despite his mature age, or perhaps because of it, since the feminine ideal everywhere is that for a man to be attractive, he unites thoughtfulness, common sense and the experience gained by maturity); a leading man, we were saying, doesn’t like to play a character who is a murderer and therefore might disgust the fans, above all the female fans. However, Tyrone accepted playing a murderer in a role that was, we repeat, not the lead, which was taken by Charles Laughton.”

Photo Captions, page 12:
The mature actor facing veteran Charles Laughton in a scene from Witness for the Prosecution, the hit movie adapted from the play by Agatha Christie

He exuded sympathy and embodied the roles he was offered; his shameless character saved him from being overpowered [literally, “shipwrecked”] by Charles Laughton’s monumental performance.

Re: Spanish Articles, Pages 11-12

You're amazing Peachtreegal! MORE insightful info.!

Have to (sadlly) agree with the "there remain few traces of the youth of Marie Antoinette, Lloyds of London and other films from his early period." No doubt the smoking and heart condition played a part.

As for the "Witness.." part being insignificant and secondary I doubt Power felt that way as this was one of the juciest roles he ever had. Still, the statement that such an unsympathetic role was not one normally given to leading men of the day is largely true but again one would think that's the Hollywood grist mill talking and not TP.

Re: Re: Spanish Articles, Pages 11-12

The Witness role is a supporting role but that said, it is absolutely essential to get the right actor into that role -- someone who can be slick and (seemingly) authentic at the same time. The movie would come crashing down without a totally solid performance. Tyrone juggled Leonard perfectly and he stood shoulder to shoulder with a cast of acting powerhouses, starting with the magnificent Charles Laughton. :) I have a feeling he must have known as supporting roles go, it was a substantial, juicy one. :)

As for The Face... yes to all the chain-smoking and undiagnosed heart disease, but I figure also the stress of World War II, failed marriages, ex-wives, alimony payments, and career frustration altered it. And yet it is a beautiful face at any age, not just because the features are nicely arranged ;) but because of Ty's intelligence and spirit. I enjoy him just as much in the later pictures as the early ones. :)

Re: Re: Re: Spanish Articles, Pages 11-12

Joanne/Peachtree--

Can't add more to this--both of you made/said your points well.