Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Pictorial from "Suez" added

I know :-)... I always get a kick out of the pic of tiny Annabella strapping TP down with all the wind machines going full blast at her. Makes for good drama however :-)!

Re: Re: Re: Pictorial from "Suez" added

Oh.... YUMMY!

I used to be optimistic about Fox releasing a third Tyrone Power set with all the historical epics (Lloyd's of London, Suez, Pony Soldier, King of the Kyber Rifles, Untamed) but with the downturn in the economy... I have a feeling that it's going to be a long long time, if ever, for this box set.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pictorial from "Suez" added

Yeah, I know what you mean :-(. Still, they might release Suez and Lloyds, perhaps (at least, those are more likely titles to go in the front of the line, perhaps, but who knows).

Peachtree, if you want copies of any (or all) of these, let me know.

j.

Re: Pictorial from "Suez" added

Thanks, Joanne, but I have copies of all of those movies. Actually, I own copies of all of Ty's filmography, not including those two really early films in which he appeared as an extra.

Have you seen the 1916 silent film "Where Are My Children?" starring Tyrone Power Sr. and Patia Power? Baby Ann plays their niece and two-year-old Tyrone makes a blink-and-you'll-miss-him appearance at the end. But it is unmistakeably him. Even at that age his looks are distinctive. The movie is included in the Treasures III: Social Issues in American Film 1900-1934 box set. The story is a very odd one, which seems to say that the lower classes should have access to birth control (illegal at the time) in order to keep them from reproducing, but abortion should be forbidden, especially to the upper classes -- who SHOULD reproduce! Despite this strange social message, the movie's topic was a daring one for the time. The director was a woman, Lois Weber. Both Tyrone Sr. and Patia give excellent performances in this.

Re: Re: Pictorial from "Suez" added

Do you know I had a vhs copy of "Where Are My Children?" (taped it off TCM when it aired...just one time) and like an idiot I accidently taped over it!!! Nice.

Yes, isn't that amazing that the entire Power family made an appearance. Baby TP is on there for a good minute or so in the end, if memory serves (?)

I'm ashamed to admit that though I had taped the film I had yet to watch it full and had only seen snipptes. Bad, I know. So the info. you provide is very interesting indeed! Talk about a different era! (Well, this was the time that "Birth of a Nation" was considered the greatest film ever made as well ?!)

Do you have the boxed set and if so what are the other films like?

Wow--I didn't know this even existed!

Thanks, Peachtree, for mentioning it.

Obviously Ty was being groomed even before he could talk!

Yes, I have the box set and like all the sets in the Treasures series, it's an absolutely fantastic trove of cinematic history. The sets all include a thick booklet with wonderful notes about the background of each film and, in the case of the silent films, the new accompanying music. The films vary from fragments a few seconds long to feature length.

You can read up on all the box sets (there are now four) at the National Film Preservation Foundation's website:

http://www.filmpreservation.org/dvd/frameset_dvd.html

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pictorial from "Suez" added

How are the films themselves, Peachtree, as far as entertainment and/or return viewing possibilities?