Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Judy Garland/Anne Hathaway

Other than the similar coloring :-), I'm not sure how good a casting choice this is. Can't imagine she'll top Judy Davis' TV turn. should be interesting in any case.

this is being discussed at the TP chat group in Yahoo as well and Zac Ephron is one name bandied about for TP. He certainly has that young male beauty (thought of that when he was on the cover of Entertainment Weekly a few months back (although not quite up to par of TP, natch :-))--not sure he has the acting chops however. It's interesting to think that they're both the same age as when TP became a star, but the latter was a more well rounded actor (certainly appeared older as well skill-wise).

Any other thought on this?

Re: Re: Judy Garland/Anne Hathaway

I recall the Judy Davis production and I thought she did a great job. I do like Anne, but she's certainly taller than Judy Garland--similar coloring, and the eyes. It's a challenging role and while Judy was not as tall as Anne, it's a tall role to fill.

I like Zac Efron. I haven't seen the HS musicals, but I did like him in Hairspray (I couldn't deal with John Travolta in drag--shiver!). He was going to do a remake of Footloose but that's been canned because he doesn't want to be stereotyped.

I can see the resemblance, of course, but Ty was certainly groomed differently--different times, though. And Ty's family background--pretty serious stuff.

I don't recall the Ty/Judy affair in the Judy Davis version--does anyone?

Re: Re: Re: Judy Garland/Anne Hathaway

---
I recall the Judy Davis production and I thought she did a great job. I do like Anne, but she's certainly taller than Judy Garland--similar coloring, and the eyes. It's a challenging role and while Judy was not as tall as Anne, it's a tall role to fill.

YOU SAID IT :-)!! TALL ROLE INDEED. I DUNNO, SHE MAY BE ABLE TO PULL IT OFF--PROBALBY WILL (I'M THINKING THAT DAVIS IS AN ACTRESS WITH A BIT MORE DEPTH, HENCE HER SUCCESS WITH THIS ROLE, BUT WHO KNOWS.) I HAD NO IDEA SHE COULD SING AS WELL AS SHE COULD, UNTIL SHE SANG AT THIS YEARS OSCARS.

I like Zac Efron. I haven't seen the HS musicals, but I did like him in Hairspray (I couldn't deal with John Travolta in drag--shiver!). He was going to do a remake of Footloose but that's been canned because he doesn't want to be stereotyped.

ACTUALLY I THOUGHT TRAVOLTA WAS GREAT. I'N NOT A FAN BUT I BECAME ONE OF SORTS AFTER THAT FILM. DIVINE PLAYED IT ON STAGE, AS YOU PROBABLY KNOW, AND HE DIDN'T GO FOR A FEMALE VOICE, ETC. SO IT SEEMS LIKE TRAVOLTA WAS GOING FOR THE SAME ROUTE.

I can see the resemblance, of course, but Ty was certainly groomed differently--different times, though. And Ty's family background--pretty serious stuff.

TOO TRUE :-)!!

I don't recall the Ty/Judy affair in the Judy Davis version--does anyone?

YOU BRING UP A GOOD POINT, AS THEY MAY NOT EVEN FEATURE TP. SHE HAD AN AFFAIR WITH JOSEPH MACKENWICZ AS WEL, MAYBE THEY'LL FEATURE ONLY HIM, WHO KNOWS (?)