Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flirtation Walk

Warner Bros. has just released Flirtation Walk as part of their Warner Archive program. Tyrone Power supposedly was an extra in this film -- which is set mostly at West Point -- playing a cadet.

Flirtation Walk is available separately or as part of a five movie Dick Powell-Ruby Keeler set (which actually has only 4 Powell-Keeler films; the female star in Happiness Ahead is Josephine Hutchinson). I love love LOVE Dick Powell, so I immediately ordered the entire set, of course. ;)

While watching Flirtation Walk, I looked closely for Ty but could not find him among the extras playing cadets. Does anyone know exactly where he is in this film so I can go back and spot him? Or was his scene cut?

This was directed by Frank Borzage, one of cinema's greatest exponents of the transcendent aspect of romantic love. (I'm a big Borzage fan.) Even in Warner Bros. films, which are more fluffy and studio bound than the amazing work he directed for Fox at the culmination of the silent era, he managed to inject a more profound measure of romance into this (and his other Dick Powell-Ruby Keeler film, Shipmates Forever, this time set at Annapolis) than you usually find in WB musicals. Just look at the scene where Dick Powell sings (oh so beautifully) "Aloha O'e" and the expression on Ruby's face. That's a girl falling in love. ;) (Decent acting too from Ruby, who was not the best actress in the world.)

The Warner Archives are WB titles released on burned DVD-Rs, not pressed DVDs. They are burned upon request and mailed within the week. I've received the titles I've ordered very quickly. There are no extras except for trailers and the artwork is boilerplate. The quality despite being DVD-R is quite good although the movies are not restored/remastered, so expect print damage and variable quality depending on the condition of the source material. WB has been releasing dozens of titles that would otherwise never see the light of day on DVD and it's a godsend for film buffs. That said, they charge a lot though there are often discount codes available, so do not order without a discount code.

http://www.wbshop.com/Warner-Archive/ARCHIVE,default,sc.html?adid=wacurl

Re: Flirtation Walk

If you don't have "The Films Of Tyrone Power" there's a movie still in there which appears to locate him on the right of the cadets in the stage presentation near the end of the film. I can send it to you if you want. I didn't spy Ty in a casual "watch the film" type of mode - I'd need to go back and play with freeze and zoom.

I do have The Films of Tyrone Power and I've seen that still but I couldn't spot him. I'll try again.

For the life of me I can never spot him in htat film. I've even been given detailed info. as to where he is and I *still* can't find him.

No, I can't find him. Ignore my post.

I can't either. I think it's an urban myth that he's in the film :-)!

Seventh Heaven

Did he do this '27 version with Janet Gaynor? If so, have you seen it Peachtree and what's your opinion on it :-)?

Re: Seventh Heaven

Tyrone would have been 13 years old in 1927. :) I have never heard of him being in 7th Heaven -- the male lead is Charles Farrell.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Handsome fella.

Yes, I've seen 7th Heaven, and it's exquisite. Another paean to romantic love from director Frank Borzage. It's available in Fox's magnificent Murnau, Borzage and Fox box set. (It was remade 10 years later starring Simone Simon and James Stewart -- I haven't seen that version but I've read it's pretty bad.)

Borzage

Oops, meant if Borzage directed the '27 version--should have been clearer, sorry (yeah, I knew was a bit on the young side then :-).

Thanks for the tip Peachtree, as I've never seen it so it's good to know you liked it.

As for Stewart version, it's not that bad, I don't think. The fact that Stewart is in it, alone makes it worth a look, imho (if you want a copy let me know).

Anywho, will try to take a look at the '27 version.

Re: Borzage

I would LOVE a copy of the 37 version with James Stewart. That will plug one of the holes in my Stewart collection! Please e-mail me offlist at pvitaris@gmail.com (new e-mail address)