Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hotel Gianna Covigliaio Italy

This is where Ty and Linda Christian used to stay when they were traveling in Italy and wanted a hideaway off the beaten path. It's on the Futa, the mountain road halfway between Florence and Bologna. When I used to go there in the late 1960's, early 1970's , it was still owned by Luigi who had known Ty. He showed me the room they used to stay in (second floor right over the entrance. Wish I had taken a picture of it). There were several personally inscribed photographs from Ty hanging in the small dining room.One was Ty and Linda in a Convertible foreign car, top down, waving at the camera in front of some stone gate. Once Luigi pulled out an old scrapbook which had several Christmas cards from the entire Power family...husband, wife and two little girls (must have been from '53,'54,'55...as well as the envelopes they were mailed in. One was postmarked from England I remember. Probably when he was still married and doing some play in London. Covigliaio was still a great place, serene, quiet , peaceful. Haven't been back there in 20 years. There was an enormous German military cemetary a few kilometers south of Covigliaio, where thousands of German soldiers were buried from the fierce fighting in the Apennines during WW II. The Apennines were soooooooo cold in the winter, worst mountain cold I've ever experienced, can't imagine how they slept outside in that frigid weather in battle. The 'famous 'Mille Miglia' auto race also passed right by the Hotel every year on this mountain road until it was banned because of a horrible crash that wiped out a bunch of spectators as well as the driver.

http://cgi.ebay.it/Covigliaio-Caffe-Posta-Pensione-Gianna-11109_W0QQitemZ390110659136QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCartoline?hash=item5ad4684240

Covigliaio Italy Panoramic View

Panoramic view of the tiny little mountain town. Glad TP found peace there. These are on Ebay Italy so don't know how long the link will work.

http://cgi.ebay.it/Firenze-Covigliaio-fotografica-cartolina-A0385_W0QQitemZ110457473112QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCartoline?hash=item19b7c74858

Re: Covigliaio Italy Panoramic View

These were great to see--thanks so much for sharing them with us.

Re: Covigliaio Italy Panoramic View

GREAT find AV, many thanks :-)!!!