Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Robert Osborne TCM and Tyrone Power

I had to do a double take after reading the TCM program for this month. Let's hope this comes to fruition at some point--Robert Osborne promising to hightlight TP on TCM. Check out the last sentence (Robert Taylor is the star of the month for April)..

"There was a time in Hollywood's past when the single most essential asset one needed to be a genuine movie star was a near-perfect profile. People primarily went to the movies, it was believed, not toe se faces which mirrored those found at the corner gas station or behind the counter at the local Five & Dime but idealized gods and goddesses. As Joan Crawford once verbalized, it, "If people want to se the boy or the girl next door, they can go next door--that's not why they go to the movies. " But even in that bygone era when Hollywood was filled with people who looked as if they had been born on Mt. Olympus, two males stood out: 20th Century-Fox's handsome heartthrob Tyrone Power and GM's favorite Adonis--our Star of the Month for April--Robert Taylor......Someday we hope to give you a health sampling of Power at his peak..."

Re: Robert Osborne TCM and Tyrone Power

Yes, Joanne, yes!! I came to post that Black Swan will be on TCM this Wednesday--I also did a double-take. I was in another room and heard the music for Black Swan as well as dialogue--they were playing the trailer for it.

All I have to say is, "hooray!!"

Yeah, it seems like they've been playing a film of his here and there sporadically for the past two years or so, but what made me take notice was Osborne writing that they will try to dedicate more time to his films, etc. which leads me to believe that maybe they'll either do a day of his films or, miracle or miracles, actually make him star of the month (although, I'm a bit loathe to believe the latter).

Still, it should be interesting and let's hope they follow through. At least *something* is in writing :-)

Joanne--certainly long in coming, and he's right, for who Ty was and his box office traffic, it IS surprising that there isn't a TP cult.

(But another thought, would Ty really have wanted that?)

I'm going to the TCM Classic Film Festival later this month. If I manage to have an up close and personal moment with Robert Osborne, I'll certainly mention Tyrone Power to him! Osborne appeared in person at Atlanta's Plaza Theater's screening of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington some weeks ago but after his opening remarks I didn't see him again.

I wonder if they could run a widescreen version of Abandon Ship.