Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wow!!!

It's a shame that Zanuck just kept Ty in more costume/romantic roles after Nightmare Alley. I agree with both Joanne and Peachtree.

(Not that I don't like the subsequent films that Ty made after NA, but why not expand on Ty's capability?!?)

Too true, Melody. I think he only really stretched after NA with films like "The Long Gray Line"...."Witness/Prosecution" and a wee bit with "Eddy Duchin..."

Here are two that I don't think get enough attention, so to speak..."A Letter to An Unknown Woman" and "The Bitter Tea of General Yen." (I also like "The Tempest" with Barrymore....he oozes sex appeal in that one, I think).

Have you seen those two? Both overlooked gems in IMNSHO.

I'd love to see those highlighted in your blog, Peachtree, but then again I'm biased :-).

I don't really think of it as a blog, more as a place to put screencaps though I can't resist gabbing a bit about whatever is new.

Those are all nice titles. Right now I'm working on All That Heaven Allows -- I had been thinking of doing a Sirk film and after seeing I Am Love this weekend with Tilda Swinton as a Russian woman who married into an immensely wealthy Milanese family who has an affair with her adult son's friend, a chef, I immediately started thinking I had to do All That Heaven Allows. ATHA is an amazing visual experience (with great acting from Jane Wyman, and Rock Hudson ain't bad either.) Next I'm doing something with Ben Johnson. After that who knows. :)

Don't you just love those movies where the leading lady after much angst gets the absolutely perfect fantasy male? :) Another example is Something New with Sanaa Lathan and SImon Baker. She: uptight CPA who has to work twice as hard to prove herself because she's an African American woman in a field dominated by white men and who hasn't been able to find Mr. Right; He: cinematic heir to Rock Hudson's nursery owner/tree grower/philosopher, a gorgeous landscape architect who not only designs but also personally builds (with a worker or two) the new landscaping. When not fixing up her backyard or making love to her, HE PAINTS HER TOENAILS FOR HER and tells her she needs more color in her life! What a guy! But he's *white*! And her friends and family don't approve.

Not a masterpiece of consumer-critique soap bubble melodrama like All That Heaven Allows, but still a lot of fun.

What's the closest Tyrone Power came to the perfect fantasy male? The Mark of Zorro? Not the fop character, or even superhero Zorro, but the "real" personality that was inbetween.

I also think that Abandon Ship was a very fine late effort on Ty's part.

Abandon Ship

Thanks to Joanne, I finally saw Abandon Ship and thought Ty was great in that. Totally agree, Peachtree!

Thanks again to Joanne!!

All That Heaven Allows

If anyone's interested, the next screencapping project (Douglas Sirk's All That Heaven Allows) is now up. http://www.paulasmoviepage.shutterfly.com

No Tyrone Power in it, but lots of lovely Rock Hudson! ;)

Photobucket