Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Greenbriar Picture Shows-Essays on Jesse James

WOW, this is fabulous :-)!!!!! Where DO you find this great stuff :-)!! Look at all those rare photos (have never seen any of these). I've printed it out and will read both like Melody--maybe we can compare notes in the next few days.

Great find, Peachtree :-)!!!

(BTW, I've added your two sites to the link page. Believe it or not, the official TP website is no longer availabe. (So possibly for the time being only, he has no official site. Strange.)

j.

Joanne--thankfully he well remembered in your website here! You have a real treasure-trove here!

Many thanks Melody :-)

>WOW, this is fabulous !!!!! Where DO you find this great stuff !!

Greenbriar Pictures is a site I've been reading for years. It's beloved of us vintage movie buffs. John McElwee's work is a treasure, isn't it? John is a cousin of filmmaker Ross McElwee, and you can read a little bit about him (John) at Ross McElwee's website for his documentary Bright Leaves.

Read the section called "Director's Statement" to learn about John. Fascinating stuff, actually.

http://rossmcelwee.com/brightleaves.html

Thanks for posting my two links!

Great stuff, Peachtree :-)!! He's featuring "Richard III" today...hurrah :-)!!!! (Still can't believe the rare pics he has!)

Jesse James articles

Fascinating stuff, Peachtree. In my ignorance, I had no idea the film had such a long shelf life--decades long :-)! I figured it was popular but not to the point where it was "by far" the biggest revival *including* Stage Coach! Although I wonder, ultimately, how accurate that is?

I think he's dead-on when he says that it's stripped of artifice and captures the austere west, etc.

It's a shame that it won't get the "Criterion hugs" as he mentioned. Can you imagine getting all the Criterion goodies for this film...or any TP film for that matter. the only one that might be a potential candidate is Nightmare Alley but I doubt they'll ever take the plunge.

(BTW, I see where much of this material was acquired if he was a theatre manager. Lucky guy :-).)

Re: Jesse James articles

Criterion is not big on westerns in general, although occasionally they'll let one out past the corral gate, i.e., Anthony Mann's The Furies (with Barbara Stanwyck) and the recent Stagecoach (both Blu-ray and standard DVD).

I think Rawhide with Ty is a very underrated film. ;)

Re: Jesse James articles

I know what you mean. The Searchers would be great but that's been done (to death?!) by other companies and very nicely at that.

Agreed about Rawhide. It's one of those performances where you forget you're watching Tyrone Power. He and Hayward had good chemistry as well, I thought.