Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
170 years ago

This is a commemoration. On this date overnight the elder Tyrone Power became tragically lost at sea. In his time, he was a famed actor, skilled author, greatly beloved and widely mourned by family, friends and fans. Here is a delightful and philosophic excerpt from an 1834 letter written by Tyrone in response to his friend's letter:

"What the devil have you to do growling like an old toothless mastiff? As if there was anything on earth worth growling about. Here is much to enjoy, and many to love. In the name of all that is respectable and vernerable, be happy, and 'with mirth and laughter, let old wrinkles come', since come they will, and may for me, as I cannot prevent them. You have had your penn'orth for your penny, so don't be ungrateful, and begrudge the fiddler his fee. I have undergone many privations in this pursuit of mine, which in your eyes appears so enviable, of which you know nothing, and of which I don't say much, not being in love with the reminiscences, nor very communicative: therefore, you don't know with what light dreams my early days was gilded, or what a stirring spirit lay within to work with them to fulfillment. And yet, behold, they all are concentrated in the possession of my mess of porridge. Yet will I not make it bitter by repining, but bless the gods, eat, die and take my chance of being forgotten. I have learned to laugh at the world quite as heartily as any portion of it ever laughed at me. I am, however, true to myself, and for the rest, my fortune has to answer, not me. Here's a homily gratis for thee, John, Read it, if thou canst, and be as happy as thy nature will allow."

Tyrone prevented those old wrinkles via an early death. And may he never be forgotten.