Third Air Force H.Q, South Ruislip

Share your memories, look up old friends.

Third Air Force H.Q, South Ruislip
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: my time in south ruislip

I don't recognize any names, but it has been a long time. I was in the 1969th Comm Sq, and married in Harrow-on-the-Hill in May 1967. What unit was your father in? Joe

Re: Re: Re: my time in south ruislip

Also have not seen anyone I recognize but arrived at South Ruislip in June 1956 and left June 1960.
Lived in Harrow on the Hill for about a year, took a drive by the base (ex-base) in 1989 but hardly recognized anything. During my time there had duty at Northolt in base planning which was just about two miles away from the base.

Re: Re: my time in south ruislip

My daughter was born in the 7520th Hospital at South Ruislip in February 1965.

I worked in Third Air Force Graphics in Building 3 and have many fond memories of that place. We lived in Eastcote at 50 Lime Grove. Remember the "Ban the Bombers"? ...the AFEX? ...the old guy who used to walk around the base collecting bets on the pools?

I'm now retired from IBM and living in Eugene, Oregon.

I'd love to connect with anyone who remembers those great times.

Jim Boyle

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

For some reason I was feeling nostalgic today and decided to look up South Ruislip on the internet. I know little of South Rusilip. I was born there on base in January of 1965. Don't know if you knew my father or not (he passed away 6 1/2 years ago). He and my mother moved there in 1963 or 64 I believe. I think he advanced to SSGT before we left in 68 and moved to Colorado Springs. Some of the families we were there with were the Bransons and Walkers (I'll have to ask my mother who else) - we actually visited back in 75 when we were staitoned in Stuttgart. Any other memories you could pass along?! I know little of the place (being I was three when we left) other than from old pictures.... thanks!!

I read your message and wondered if you remembered the Youngblood family.(1962 onwards) I was a child at the time living in Whitmore Road, Harrow, and Major Youngblood, his wife and three children, Melissa, Jinks and Susan rented the house next door to us. I used to visit the base with them and had a great time being 'American' - cadillac, huge fridge, barbecues, film shows etc - all unheard of in 1960s England.
they were followed by other families whose names I can't remember but who all became good friends. I would love to contact them again - can you help?

Happy new year to you and your family,
Marilyn

Re: Re: Re: Re: my time in south ruislip

Marilyn,
I'm sorry I can't help you. I did not know the family you were asking about. I arrived in South Ruislip in March 1966, and left in July 1967. Good luck in your search. Joe

I saw your message whilst in my room at the Flamingo Las Vegas. After travelling by car across America ( 6525 miles ) Your message is old but I'm hopeful this gets to you. Do you remember the swan?
Best Regards Ken

Re: Re: Re: Re: my time in south ruislip

I remember the Swan, but your name is not familiar to me. Joe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: my time in south ruislip

Hi Joe,
I was a UK civilian attached to 3rd AF working in the Graphics dept. With Sgt Ned Fredborg, Jim Boyle, Kent Twitchell, etc. I am currently in Las Vegas Nevada at the end of a long holiday and something made my think of Jim Boyle. I replied to a very old message he had left but sadly my email was returned undelivered so the trail has gone cold. Kent Twitchell however, is now quiet famous.
Ken

Re: my time in south ruislip

Hi
I am trying to trace the families who lived next door to me in Whitmore Rd, Harrow when I was a child in the '60s. The family I remember best were the Youngbloods who must have left in '63 or 4, and with whom I spent many happy times. They were from New York. There was also a lovely family from a southern state and another, I believe, from Philadelphia. I cannot remember their names, but would love to hear news of anyone.
I would also be pleased to hear your memories, Joe, as you obviously lived nearby. I remember the base well as I used to go there with the Youngbloods, and I particularly remember their huge American car - a cadillac perhaps?

I look forward to hearing from you and send you my very best wishes

Marilyn