Third Air Force H.Q, South Ruislip

Share your memories, look up old friends.

Third Air Force H.Q, South Ruislip
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Memories of South Ruislip

I was stationed at S. Ruislip frpm June 1959 until June 1962. While there I was in the 3 Comm Group. The commander at the time was Col Edison C Weatherly. We were attached to the 603 Comm Sq or administrative purposes (MSgt Sam Robinson was 1st Sgt and Lt Col Rahn the commander).

My wife Mary and initially 2 girls lived in Harrow-on-the-Hill for 1 year and transportation to the base was on the 158 bus. We lived in Ruislip for the remainder of my 3 year tour.

We had 2 more girls before we returned to the states.

We stayed at the Cumberland Guest House when we arrived AND when we departed. A nice place with very
friendly people.

I've tried to locate our English neighbors
(Derek and
Theresa Bunn and daughter Lindsey) when we lived in Ruislip Manor. If ANYONE has an inkling of their address OR telephone number please e-mail me at my address listed here later.

I remember many AF people from my time there. SMSgt
Zimmermen (senior man in our personnel shop where I worked), Capt June Rainey (My boss for a while),
Lt Col D W Chamberlain (Dir of Personnel), Tsgt George Strickland (NCOIC Records Section), TSGT William Bailey NCOIC Classification Setion), MSgt Fred Simonsen NCOIC Special Actions), SSgt Oscar Darago,
and I could go on and on!

We had all the personnel records of our 5 Squadrons
and would have to take them out to them each year (TDY
) for them to review. That in icluded the 605th, 7518th, 7519th Communiations Squadrons.

All in all a most pleasurable tour and we hoped to return somday to look up more of or English friends.

I'm Jim Hoofer retired CMSgt lnow living in Grapevine Texas.

jimhoofer@yahoo.com

Lot 167 2500 Mustang Drive, Grapevine Tx, 76051 for
anyone wanting to drop a note snail mail.

Re: Memories of South Ruislip

Hi I have been looking for people who were at the ruislip base around this time,as I am trying to find out any information on a Richard Allen Mcquistion as I am his granddaughter desperately trying to find him.I know that he was ground force and that he came from Michigan or so I believe.
I would be grateful for any information on him no matter how small.
Many thanks for your time
Nicola