Third Air Force H.Q, South Ruislip

Share your memories, look up old friends.

Third Air Force H.Q, South Ruislip
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A kid who was impresses

I used to live at 97 Grosvenor Crescent in Hillingdon which is off Long Lane and next door on the corner of Grosvenor and Windsor Avenue was a house with a big garden occupied by USAF service families for some time during my childhood.

There were a number of families including one called the Garrows. This must have between roughly mid sixties to early seventies. Mr Garrow had a black Ford Galaxy, which seemed to be the biggest car in the area by far.

All the food seemed to come from the base, I thought everything was glamorous and different, huge apples, different breakfast cereals, different smells. I remember Oreos and some kind of fruit drink which was very sugary and purple.

The furniture was in dark wood and much bigger than anything, there was a TV video game (obviously very early); which I’m sure was based upon American football. One family had kids called Chucky and Skippy. Another family had a child called Enola Gay. I used to stay overnight which I never did with other British friends.

There was a big container in the garden, which I believe was how their furniture and belongings were shipped in, it just sat there for a long time after.

But I particularly remember going to the base, I’m not sure but I thought it was at West Ruislip but could have been South Ruislip I suppose. We used to go to the garage/workshop on the base and that may have been where Mr Garrow worked, I do have a memory of a railway line nearby which may give a clue to the location

I remember barbecues at the base and the food! Hamburgers were the most amazing thing I had ever tasted, nothing like the slabs available today as well as huge steaks. I tasted root beer in a bowling alley which I thought was disgusting, I also remember watching baseball being played.

Peter