Third Air Force H.Q, South Ruislip

Share your memories, look up old friends.

Third Air Force H.Q, South Ruislip
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Douglas House

I just found a little ID wallet thta had engraved on the front: DOUGLAS HOUSE, AIRMEN"S CLUB, 41-43 Brook Street, LONDON, W.I. ENGLAND. This belonged to my father John Raymond Clancy from New York. He is long deceased now, however he served in WWII and later after the war he was stationed in London. Just wondering if a) anyone knows what the Douglas House is and b) if anyone ever came in contact with my dad.

Re: Douglas House

I was stationed there in around 57-58 and remember the Douglas House, they had good t-bone steak. Do not recall any ones name.

Douglas House was still there in the late 60's when I was assigned to South Ruislip Air Base. It was near Queensbury and it was a hotel that enlisted people could rent a room very cheaply had a club and entertainment so the young guys could meet some pretty sexy girls in mini-skirts at the time.
It was just up the street from the Columbia Club and more elegant place that served as an officer's club. Nice, centrally located, near Kenningston and Hyde Parks. I think they still may be there?

Hello,

The Douglas House was a airman’s club in London. It had recreational facilities, a ballroom and a hotel. The rooms did not have a bathroom so you shared one down the hall. I was stationed a RAF Chicksands from 1956 to 1960. Was married in June 1957 and spent my honeymoon there. All I could afford was a 3 day pass.

The next time I am in London I am going to revisit the place. Not sure when it closed. The Officer’s had a club down the street which was called the Columbia Club.

Ross

The Douglas House was a wonderful club. They had the best T-Bone Steaks in England and it was a grat place to impress an English Lass.

I worked at the Douglass House on town patrol. Very nice enlisted mans club. I went to find it in the eighteys. It had been closed and replaced. There is no Douglas House anymore.