Return to Website

La Société des Filles du roi et soldats du Carignan Web Forum

Honoring the memory of our courageous ancestors, the filles du roi (King's Daughters) and the soldiers of the Carignan-Salières Regiment of 17th century New France.

La Société des Filles du roi et soldats du Carignan Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
membership conditions...are you kidding?

Hi,
I just ran across your site and organization, and your lists of filles and Carginan soldats have already proven useful in confirming my family's connection to them (16 filles and three soldats so far! And still counting!) I considered joining your organization until I ran across the following language in your membership application - sorry, but it's a showstopper to agree in advance to give the society blanket permission to do anything it pleases with the information someone would have to provide just to apply for membership. Your associate membership application contains similar, overly broad (imho) language. If the society reconsiders, so would I. I hope you do.
Regards, and thanks,
Steve

This application and all supporting documents become the property of La Société des filles du roi et soldats du Carignan, Inc. I give my permission for the society to publish all or any part of this application. I also give my permission for this application to be used by other researchers.

Re: membership conditions...are you kidding?

I realize I'm responding to a message posted back in January. I hope you won't let the membership conditions put you off from applying. I was just accepted as a full member and to me it is an honor especially in light of my trip to Québec in 2008. It sounds like you have such a prestigious lineage, it would be a shame not to pursue it. I am not sure what bothers you so much about the conditions. All the information you furnish (including your own personal info) is public information and anyone who really wants to get it can easily do so. We are not giving social security numbers, information about prison records, or any information that could cause us harm or embarrassment so I am not clear about why you would think if La Société ... has custody of it, it could be used for sinister purposes. Enlighten me if you ever come back to the forum. MT

Re: membership conditions... privacy question

Our group has in fact revised its privacy rules, which are noted on our website and in our biannual journal. This message brought to our attention that there was out of date language on this form. Thanks,

Dave (pres., SFRSC)

Re: membership conditions...are you kidding?

I also have just come across this site.. Well I new it existed but didn't have time before to do anything useful with it. One thing I'd like to point out is that it is thanks to others before me that have published their genealogical findings online that I have been able to flesh out my tree. Nothing is created in a vacuum and we all can benefit from sharing the stories of those that were before us. I for one am pleased to help in anyway I can to foster a spirit of belonging to my fellow first settler descendants. I have even uploaded my mtdna to the philogenetic tree. We live in an open world and I want to glean all I can from it. You scratch my back I scratch yours type of thing.

Good luck.

E