Have Your Say

Welcome to the village of Bobbington message forum. Please feel free to ask any questions, or to voice your opinion on anything relating to either the village of Bobbington or the web site in general.

Bobbington Village
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help -Plane Crash

Hi,I wonder if you can help me?Im seaching for infomation on an airplane crash which killed my mothers brother.On the 1st june 1944 at 1400hrs an Anson mark 1 serial number EF927 crashed at Gospel Ash killing all five men onboard.I would like to know if this was reported in the local papers{i know lots crashed in the war}.I would also like to find the crash spot and with the landowers permission put a plaque on the spot.Please can you tell me your local papers so i could look in their files,maybe there are some people still alive that can remember the crash.I know this is a long shot but i cant seem to find much infomation on 3(o)afu.I know that the plane was hit and the tail came off.maybe this will jogg a few memouries. Thank you for your time.

Re: Help -Plane Crash

I have only just started to look at the Bobbington website hence the delayed response to your message.
My parents told me that a plane crashed in a small wood that used to be part of a farm owned by the Roberts family. There were some dead trees where the plane crashed. The small wood was about 3/4 mile south of the airfield alongside the road that runs from the south west corner of the airfield to Highgate common. It may be just a story and it may not be connected with the plane crash that interests you.
Hope that helps.

Re: Help -Plane Crash

Hello.I was born in bobbington and went to the (temporary school)that is now the playground apparently this was erected because of a plane that took the tower off the Whitecross school I asked my Mom a few years ago if she knew of any plane crashes from the aerodrome and she surprised me with this info.A plane crashed by the school another I was taken back when she said Avro Ansons another crashed in Heathton and one by Roberts farm.I did find this on a site but cannot find it now VERY disappointed.?
Hope this helps.?Jim.