Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum
Return to Website

Sailonline Forum

Welcome to Sailonline.com! Feel free to write on any boating topic you like. The more you post, the more feedback you will get! To return to Sailonline.com, simply click on the logo.

Sailonline Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Greek Isle

I've sailed the Carib top to bottom several times but looking to do the Greek Isle and visit the ruins etc in May 05. Any suggestions as far as bareboat charters? Thanks Greg

Re: Greek Isle

We sailed the Ionian out of Corfu last June. We enjoyed it a lot. The sailing is easy. Corfu is a beautiful island with friendly people and lots of good tavernas. See our travel log on sailonline.

We sailed the Ionian out of Corfu last June. We enjoyed it a lot. The sailing is easy. Corfu is a beautiful island with friendly people and lots of good tavernas. See our travel log on sailonline.

Sailing out of Lefkas (which is the island south of Corfu) is better. There are lots more cruising options from Lefkas than Corfu and it is less developed/built up. This area is called The Ionian Sea and is the most beautiful part of Greece.

There are a few very good small charter companies in the Ionian, the best being Nisos Yacht Charter - www.nisosyachtcharter.com

Sunsail are ok - but very expensive in comparison and inflexible.

While I tend to agree that the Ionians are the most interesting of the Greek islands, because you are going there on may 5th it may not be the best place as sailing/recreational is concerned. Because of the seasonal changes you could experience 25-35 Kts winds and the temperatures air and sea could still be cold. I would probably opt for a one-way sail from from Piraeus (Athens) to Rhodes. This is still an itinerary that gives you a lot of historical sites and at the same time you should get warmer weather due to the more southern latitude (not by much but may be enough to be able to go for a swim). In theory you should not be close to Meltemi time (strong cold northerly) however the one way trip will guarantee that you don’ t have to beat into it to get the boat back should it come early.

Maurizio

Sailing in the Aegean from Athens offers several advantages over the Ionian.
* Access is much easier - fly into Athens and marinas are only a 30 min taxi ride away.
* Aegean is very sheltered and effects of Meltemi are much less.
* Lots of ancient sites to visit as well as Athens itself.
* Huge choice of boats and charter companies.

For some ideas you could visit my website: www.earendil.co.uk and my boat is available during most of May at the moment.

Greece is an excellent place to visit. The sailing is good, the people are friendly and the food is cheap!

The Ionian does not get affected by the Meltemi winds at all. Best times to go are June and September, followed by mid/late May and early/mid October!

I've bareboat chartered a 45-50 sailboat every year for the last 21 years, over that Time I've chartered all the Carib ( Virgins to Grenada), Tahti, Thailand, Spain, Croatia, New Zealand and Auz, and I've been to Greece on two previous occasions...this year we are going back to Greece for our Third Time. For me it is one of the best cruising grounds. June and Sept are the best months, if you're new to bareboating try the Sardonic to start, or Corfu..The Cyclades are my favourite fo far, but a bit more challenging. I'm chartering from Kos to Rhodos this Sept, so I can not speak of it yet. But if you can (not a must) try and get a oneway charter downwind. i.e Athens to Paros There are many good charter companys in Greece negotiate the price (last minutes are often a very good deal if you can get a crew committed on short notice, which is often difficult)...but whatever you do make sure you go! That is the most important tip I can give you.

Re: Re: Greek Isle

Help. We want to charter a boat in the Greek isles. We are not sailors so need a captin/crew as necessary. We don't need luxury and can do most of our own meals but want clean/safe. We probably want to go out of Athens perhaps one way but could be a round trip as well. Does anyone have any reputable rental companies to recommend?

Jan

Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum