Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum
Return to Website

Sailonline Forum

Welcome to Sailonline.com! Feel free to write on any boating topic you like. The more you post, the more feedback you will get! To return to Sailonline.com, simply click on the logo.

Sailonline Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
When is the best time for BVI

We are planning a first sailing charter trip to the BVI. Our sailing experience has been on inland lakes in the US. I have been told by sailing friends (with much more experience than me), not to plan a trip in October... the weather and seas are too variable which could turn into a bad experience for all. My options are October, Christmas break, or June. I would really appreciate some first hand experience advice.

Thank you.

Re: When is the best time for BVI

Bud,
With your limited bluewater siling I would stick to a June trip. The winds are still good in June and the weather is usually very good plus the price drops in half. Christmas break averages 20kts of wind and that could make your first trip not so fun and damper your enthusiasm. I am not sure who you are going with but if it was up to me I would charter a cat, I know the traditionalist laugh but they are the best for cruising. I race monohulls and nothing beats them but when you are on the stick with six friends the cat can't be beat. Plus you can cover more ground, and that makes sense on a short week charter.
I would look at charter from the Catamaran company or voyager for cats and sunsail for a mono. I personally would avoid the moorings, service is not the best and the boats don't have the extras that the catamaran company offers. I would also recomend self provisioning with Bobby's marketplace. Good luck and check out www.bvipirate.com the best website for navigating the bvi's.
Cheers

Re: When is the best time for BVI

Ahoy

We have chartered at several different times in he BVI. At that latitude, I wait for March to avoid the swells and squalls that can blow down from the North Atlantic. May was great, but later on the little jelly fishies float through which can impact the snorkeling. I like November for the weather and prices and crowds (lack thereof as compared to the prime winter months).

The BVI is a great place to "learn the ropes", er, lines. Enjoy!

Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum