Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum
Return to Website

Sailonline Forum

Welcome to Sailonline.com! Feel free to write on any boating topic you like. The more you post, the more feedback you will get! To return to Sailonline.com, simply click on the logo.

Sailonline Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Best places to eat in the BVI

Hello all, we are headed out on our first charter next week to the BVI. I was wondering what are the best places to eat where we can keep the casual attire without spending too much money?

Second question, how safe is it to leave your boat unattened on a mooring while we are out rendezvous diving?

Re: Best places to eat in the BVI

You can keep ultra casual attire almost everywhere in the BVI, except maybe restaurants like Brandywine or the hotel in Biras Creek.

As for boat sceurity, it depends where you are. For decades, no one would lock a boat in the BVI. Now, I would recommend locking your boat and your dinghy if you are in Cane Garden Bay for example. Mostly everywhere else is OK.
However, nowadays, if I leave the boat for an extended period of time, I lock the boat. But that's just me...

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice.

Is there a good website with current information that rates the BVI restaurants?

In Roadtown, the C and F Restaurant is great. It's on a side street not for from Wickhams Cay. All the cab drivers know where it is. I would avoid the restaurant at the Moorings Mariner Inn [if that's who you are Chartering with]Overpriced and the food is not good. Marina Cay is a good place for a nice meal and an overnight if you are in the area. On Virgin Gorda, we like the Buffet at The Bitter End. On Jost, our favorite place is Sydney's Peace and Love. Great food[cheap] and they have a self serve bar while you are waiting for dinner. If you want to splurge for a 'dining experience' go the the Sugar Mill. Excellent food in a beautiful old inn. It's a short cab ride for Sopers or any of the other anchorages on that end of Tortola.
I agree with Micheal, in years past, no one ever lock their boat.Unfortunatly, those days are past, so if you are out of sight of your boat, lock it up.
Have fun!

Jack,
As mentioned above, almost everywhere is casual attire. We almost always lock the boat when going ashore for dinner or extended period time. I also take the dinghy kill switch/cord with me after I tie up ashore. I've been doing this religiously for 5 years now. The one time I did not (last year), our dinghy got "borrowed" from the Bitter End and was never returned. It's a bummer that times have changed.

Here are two possible dining spots:

Try the Lighthouse in Leverick Bay. It has a nice warm atmosphere, piano music on some nights, and solid food and wine.

Big Bamboo in Loblolly, Anegada. Very casual, picnic bench dining. Great for a relaxed meal after snorkeling in Loblolly.

Thanks everyone, we are now back home and had a great trip. BVI is an amazing place and hope to return soon.

Jack

Understand you are back home, but for others planning a BVI trip... The Big Bamboo in the backside of Anegada is the best! Select your freshly trapped lobster. Mamma boils 'em and them slices them laterally, spinkles in secret spices and bakes. Served with rice and beans... ahhhh...the best!

Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum