Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum
Return to Website

Sailonline Forum

Welcome to Sailonline.com! Feel free to write on any boating topic you like. The more you post, the more feedback you will get! To return to Sailonline.com, simply click on the logo.

Sailonline Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Questions about Catamaran Co and Lagoon Cats

First of all I'd like to know of any bad experiences with Catamaran co that people have had.

Then, in looking at all the Cats, the most appealing to me is the Lagoon series. 440 or 470 look fantastic. Any comments or input there?

Thanks!

Re: Questions about Catamaran Co and Lagoon Cats

Ditto,

We would like the same feedback and a comp review with the Fontaine Pajots. Good luck!

P. and R.

I chartered with the catamaran company last year and the experience was excellent. I chartered the Lagoon 47 and found the boat to be well suited to BVI cruising. The year before I chartered a FP Belize 43 and the boat was subpar in both comfort and sailing ability.
Next time I will either the charter the Lagoon 440 or the new 500, the flybridge option is the way to go for cruising in the BVI's. Unless your looking for your own boat to buy and can afford a gunboat go with the Lagoon, but if that doesn't work try the Voyage line. Cheers

We are looking at the 440,470, and 500. The difference in price (roughly 3K/week) of the 500 makes it a little less desireable.

How stuffy are the cabins, and do I need air conditioning in December/January?

One more question.. Doesn't the current 470 (2004) and 440 (2005) both have fly bridges?

The 440 has a flybridge and the 470 is a tradition port side cockpit steering position. The only down side to the 470 was the limited visibility from the helm of head sail tell tails and the main. As far as the cabins go they had plenty of room as far as charter cats goes. I always get the ac because it not only keeps the boat dry but for those that may get bothered going below in a humid hot cabin it makes the trip more tolerable. Cheers

I have a 2006 Lagoon 410S2 in the Catamaran Companies Fleet. It just entered the fleet in December and has only 1 charter on it thus far. It is fully loaded, a/c, generator, hard top bimini, the works. For a family of 6-8, this is a super comfy boat that will save you a few grand off of the 440 or 470. I also am open to discounting my owners week for even bigger savings. Email me and we can talk. I just got back from my delivery sail and it was incredible down there.

The Lagoon 440 looks very interesting, some points that I found interesting were the cabin layout (I hate having to clamber over people when getting into the berth), and it seems that all the cabins are free from this.

The high steering position seems interesting, I have found rather too many cat steering positions rather isolating from the party, and rather uncomfortable looking.

A quick scan of Google did not get me a URL for a review!

Lagoon 440 is fantastic, far superior to the FP Venezia 42 I have chartered in the past. Chartered Castellina last year and it was wonderfull. The flybridge gives you much better view of the water and the sails than peeking over the bridgedeck or through the bimini. I signed on for Dreams in March (the new Lagoon 500) because it has the flybridge and would hold more people. I recommend the Catamaran company and the base staff in Nanny Cay. The 440's and the 500 will continue to book up on charters in the BVI because once you have been on a Cat with the flybridge you may not go back to another for warm weather cruising.

Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum