Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum
Return to Website

Sailonline Forum

Welcome to Sailonline.com! Feel free to write on any boating topic you like. The more you post, the more feedback you will get! To return to Sailonline.com, simply click on the logo.

Sailonline Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help a 1st timer re: BVI, summer heat, sleeping in comfort(?)

My family is considering our first bareboat this summer (when school lets out) in the British Virgin Islands. I'm a sailor; they're not. But everyone is enthused. My #1 concern is the sleeping situation. Just how uncomfortable is it at night, on a mooring, with no a/c, but windscoops in place? (I know a/c is an option, but it sounds impractical and overly expensive to me.) Then there are the mosquitos. I can't seem to get a straight answer on this. Some say it's very pleasant, others terrible. Any honest answers and advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to take them on a dream vacation only to have it be a nightmare. Thanks all!

Re: Help a 1st timer re: BVI, summer heat, sleeping in comfort(?)

Well, Keith - that's a bit difficult to answer in terms of the heat situation. It depends on whether you are from a "sunshine state" or from the frozen wastes of the North: in other words, how acclimatized you are. From my perspective, (and I HATE air conditioning!) I almost find it too cool with a windscoop over an open hatch. I'm a "good kid" saying that though, as I have lived here on boats for many years and am therefore fully acclimatised - so not much help there, I'm afraid.

As for mosquitos: They have very small wings, and very small brains. But whatever brain-power they have makes them realise that flying up-wind (on their very small wings) doesnt work very well for them. So - anchored at least 50 yards up wind of the nearest piece of land will keep you out of their reach. I personally have never in 12 years had a mosquito on my boat anywhere in the Virgin Islands. If you do have to anchor down-wind of land, just keep yourself a little further off shore. Remember that the worst time for them is the change of light at dawn and dusk....I dont think you'll have much of a problem with them though.

You'll love it here!!! Enjoy, Tony

Keith,
Take it from a monohull racer, charter a multihull. If you want a happy crew pick a cat, can't beat the stability and comfort especially if they are first timers. I use the cat company whose boats have ac. the ac is very easy to use if you choose to use it and it is great for a few hours everday just to dry out the boat. Don't let the old timers tell you that sailing a cat isn't sailing, except for the new Moorings 54 ds boats the cats can get you to your next location faster and smoother. Cheers

I chartered there in Sept of 98 and going back this year in June with the Kids. We chartered a Morgan 38 CC then and as long as you are anchored off and have the hatches open with a wind scoop you should be comfortable. As one person responded it will depend upon where you are from, for I am from Florida so I am accustomed to the humidity anyway. I rented the Morgan CC because it had an in mast furling system and the people that I was with had minimal if no sailing experience and I found that even though I did not get the most efficient affect out of my sails I could control the heel and the boat by myself if needed. Also, I plan on sailing the Caribbean loop when I retire so I wanted to try a boat that I might be interested in doing it with. This year we are chartering the Beneteau 40CC. Wish you the best in your decision.

We have sailed in June with our kids as soon as school was out. AC is a definte plus, expecially at the dock or when it rains at night. We took a 54 foot Jenneau with AC with 4 adults and 4 kids and it was great. I have also sailed the cats - more comforable at anchorage for sure but not nearly as much un to sail. We spent two weeks and also went to the USVI. We watched the firewords from the boat on July 1 at St. Johns and we rented a jeep for the day and toured the island. The underwater snorkel park at Trunk bay is great.

June is a great time in the BVI with lots more kids at the anchorages. Take a boat with AC if you want to sleep well at night. Check out the boats at TMM and Horizon as more of their monohulls have AC than the bigger companies. Have fun...

Check out the following web page. I has some great graphs on the overall climate. I was suprised to find that it is not much hotter than spring time. The weather seems to be much calmer. We will be ther with our kids as well for 2 weeks mid June. Can't wait.

http://www.caribwx.com/climate.html

Another important issue is to keep doors ajar so air can flow through the boat. Windsscoops/breeze boosters do no good with a door closed, air has no where to go.

Keith: Put this way down your worry list. My wife and I have accumulated about 120 charter days in the BVI, almost all in the summer months and much of it with our kids (starting at age 3). With the hatch AND companionway/sliding door (depending on mono or cat) open, the air will flow through quite well on most boats. At each extreme we've had some summer nights where we needed a cotton blanket and some that were warm and stuffy, but none that kept us from sleeping well. Mostly its comfortable. If you get hot a quick rinse at the stern shower will cool you right off.

Forget the AC unless you want to listen to that infernal generator all night (MUCH more likely to keep you AND your neighbors awake). If you do run a generator at night, expect some glares from your otherwise friendly anchor-mates the next morning - actually I've seen early morning retalitory banging on pots and pans, but I found that a bit over the top. I'm sure there are some who will disagree, but anchorages can be close quarters and the basic etiquette involves not being the noisiest boat after dark.

If you go ashore at night take the insect repellant, but I've never seen a mosquito near a boat at anchor (not the conditions that they are designed to fly in).

My only other advice is to spring for a good quality mask and snorkel for both the adults and kids before you go. One sure way to turn this dream vacation into a nightmare is to get to a great snorkelling site with bad gear.

Happy sailing.

I just wanted to thank everyone for great info and reassurance. I've learned a lot in the past couple of months. The trip is scheduled and we're psyched -- and not a bit worried about heat. Reefs and other boats, now that's a different issue. lol Seriously, thanks again for all the great input. Keith

Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum