Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum
Return to Website

Sailonline Forum

Welcome to Sailonline.com! Feel free to write on any boating topic you like. The more you post, the more feedback you will get! To return to Sailonline.com, simply click on the logo.

Sailonline Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Does Sirius Radio work in the BVI?

This might seem like a dumb question and it probably is. Anyway, if someone has had sucess with Sirius radio in the BVI, please let me know.

Thanks, Gary

Re: Does Sirius Radio work in the BVI?

This won't help, but FYI, XM doesn't work, but it uses geosynchronous while Sirius uses polar orbits. I have searched the web in the past, and Sirius has a broader range and looked very close to the BVI.

You can google non Sirius sites to see, as there is an issue with licensing and Sirius won't tell you.

Or, call your base. The locals all know about XM and Sirius and tell you for sure, just make sure that who you talk to has a concept of what you are talking about.

gki
SAHIB
Moorings 4000

Did you ever find out if Sirius works in the BVI's?
I'm going charter boat sailing there in June and want
to take my receiver with me, but no sense doing so if
there is no signal....
Thanks,
George

The TTOL forums have threads on XM and Sirius, apparently the signal stops somewhere around Puerto Rico. You can get Sirius on Dish Network in BVI.

I have been told that sirius works. I will be in the BVI for most of July and will not know for sure until then. I plan to take the receiver with me. Folks on www.Traveltalkonline.com claim they have seen and heard sirius work.

Sirius works in the BVI...with exceptions. You must be on the north west side of a hill. We could get it to work with the car antenna. On the boat, it was a different story. Reception was in and out even when moored. We only got one bar at best. To make things acceptable, you will need more antenna or more satellites.

Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum