Welcome to the Caddo Connection

This forum was created to allow Caddo members to ask questions, network, and engage in general discussion regarding the Caddo Nation.

The forum administrator reserves the right to delete inappropriate posts and to ban abusers from this site.

Welcome to the Caddo Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
opinions requested

There are more than 5k enrolled Caddo members. I would like to hear from administration, staff, or elected officials why they believe the people they serve are so disconnected from the tribe, and what they are doing to include more members in cultural programs, entitlement programs, health programs, or any other service based opportunities. Serving the same 3% of the tribe seems a bit like nepotism.

Re: opinions requested

From the many conversations I have had with Caddo people on this subject, I gather that many are tired of seeing the same scenarios being played out ad nauseam and they are choosing to stay disconnected. I've heard for years that you cannot get services or you don't find out about anything going on at the tribe unless you 1) are an employee, 2)have family on the council or 3)live in Caddo County. This problem and many others could be fixed if we would ever get to a point where we are not infighting over trivial issues, e.g. differing opinions or worried that one is trying to steal the other's thunder.

If someone on council doesn't share your opinion or proposes a new way to do something, don't have them recalled or removed, hear them out, you may learn something. We have many tribal members who have been out in the business world and come home to help the tribe and are greeted with suspicion and jealousy. No, you don't have to name a building after them or erect a statue in their honor...they are simply tired of seeing the other tribes prosper and only want to help their own. And get this: many of these people don't qualify for tribal services, don't want to be Chairman, and don't even want a Thanksgiving turkey...they just want to offer their expertise and experience, for nothing in return. Once our tribal leaders get over this petty, small-mindedness and start working together instead of trying to sabotage each other, maybe we can actually have something and tribal members will WANT to be connected to the Caddo Nation.

I’m sorry Tracy, but that is my best answer. We can’t accomplish anything until the problems with the tribal government are resolved and people start working together.