Welcome to the Caddo Connection

This forum was created to allow Caddo members to ask questions, network, and engage in general discussion regarding the Caddo Nation.

The forum administrator reserves the right to delete inappropriate posts and to ban abusers from this site.

Welcome to the Caddo Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TAG

Went to get my tag today, had informed them I would be up so the Chair, if yu can call her that, she has been removed since September 2012, had her two Security, if you want to call them that waiting at the door. They told me they had something to give me. went back and got me the following letter. NOW THIS IS HOW BRIGHT THE CHAIR IS. CANNOT EVEN READ OR UNDERSTAND THE CONSTITUTION.

Ann Donaghey went with me as my Rep. Thanks to her for that, who knows I may have been locked outside again.

Dear Laura Jarvis:

We are enclosing a typed excerpt from the recording of the Caddo Nation Quarterly Membership (left out meeting) properly called and held on January 21, 2011 (smart girl, was held January 21, 2012) pursuant to ARTICLE II of the Caddo Nation Constitution and Bylaws.

In this membership meeting, the Caddo Nation, through its tribal members, stated their position with regard to matter pertaining to you.

Pursuant to ARTICLE V, Section 3, "All authority not vested in the Tribal Council by this article is reserved to the membership..."

The Constitution is clear, neither the Tribal Council, nor Tribal Officers may overrule the wishes of the Tribal Membership acting at a properly called and held membership meeting.

Should you wish to further address these matters, your recourse would lie solely within the powers of the voting membership.

On behalf of the Caddo Nation,

Brenda Shemayme Edwards
Chairman of the Caddo Nation

2nd Page

Motion 4:

Motion made by Diana Woodward, seconded by Charlotte Bentley

Laura Jarvis has been on the Council illegally since June 9, 2010 and Membership does not recognize her as a legal Council member since that time.

Membership acknowledges that she owes no money in part or during this period but she would no longer be able to run for any office, any boards unless she pays the money back.

Motion passed with a vote of : 30 for, 0 against and 0 abstentions (30-0-0)

THE ABOVE WHATEVER, SIGNER OF THE ABOVE LETTER SENT SOME ATTACHMENTS, WILL EITHER ADD THEM LATER OR NOT AND "MOST CERTAINLY WILL RESPOND TO THIS LETTER LATER".

Re: TAG

Ms Jarvis, when you make the comment "....Security, if you want to call them that", I'm curious as to how you think they should be addressed? Are their credentials, as to how to do their job, in question?
Respectfully,
Louise Smith

Will have to admit am not sure what their credentials are. However, they were not hired to be the Chairs bodyguard and that is what capacity they have been acting in. Including keeping recognized Council out of the meeting and building, etc. Locking the front door, following whomever the "Chair" doesn't want in there around within the building. Sitting outside the locked doors with their hands in their pockets as if they would taser or whatever. They may be big in body but would say very little in mind when you can threaten Caddo members on their land and in their building, whether they be Council or just members.

You ask "how I think they should be addressed?" How about the Chairs bodyguards... As for credentials, hear Justin has been trying to get with the BIA for some time but that hasn't and probably won't happen, assume he has something if he is trying to get on with the BIA. Understand he has written letters, hear on me, to the BIA Police, some kind of reports, etc., haven't seen them, don't care, means nothing. Jimmy, have not the foggiest what his credentials are.

Respectfully
Laura Jarvis

Ms Jarvis, if you were on the council when Justin was hired, did you not read his credentials or resume prior to hiring him? As far as being hired to be the "Chairs" bodyguards, I know for a fact that was not the job announcement he applied for. He does his job to the capacity in which he is asked for the good of everyone, including you. The security personnel does not lock the doors when certain people arrive, like you stated in your response. The inner door is locked at all times. Just so you know procedures, tasers are not kept in the pocket...that would not make them easily accessible in the event they were needed. Another thing, if threatening members, whether they are council members, former council members or members in general makes someone one small in mind, what does that say for your mind? As far as Justin trying "to get on" with the BIA, that also is not true. I think as his wife, I would know this. Maybe your source was referring to me. Even if he was looking at the BIA, what does it matter? Who can fault anyone for wanting to better themselves and their family. If you have a question on his credentials or his job responsibilities, maybe you should take the time to meet with him and not rely on the words of others. I know that he would be more than willing to sit down with anyone and thoroughly go over his résumé. If he meets the requirements/qualifications to work with the United States Marshals, I'm sure he's qualified to work security for the Caddo Nation. So, please, have your facts straight when it comes to questioning the credentials and/or procedures of what my husband does for the Nation. Please understand that my reason for responding is simply that as a Caddo Member, I am tired of all the bickering, slandering and defamation of character, not only on my husband, but towards others as well. I wish only the best for the Nation to prosper for the future of our tribe, and more importantly, our children.
Respectfully,
Louise Smith

Firstly, think Justin was hired part-time, like two days a week, think then Brenda wanted him full time and he was put on full time. Did not see his qualifications and would say "yes" he must be qualified to be a security guard, especially if he was qualified, according to your comments to work with the U.S. Marshall Service. Is this when he was working for the Canadian Valley Detention Center or whatever?

And yes I'm sure he was hired for Security Guard, however, you were not there when we were denied access (the five Council Members the BIA still acknowledges by sending "cc copies of things sent to Brenda". And having been involved for the period of time that I have, yes, I am aware the inner front doors are locked and you have to be buzzed in. The two outside doors were locked and your husband and Jimmy Smith were sitting there in chairs and we were not allowed to enter the building. Ask either of them.

The last time we were told no, with them sitting in front of those doors, your husband was on the phone and we asked Jimmy who told him to do this, he pointed and said his supervisor, pointing at your husband. We asked your husband who told him to not let us in and he said the Chairman.

Do not get your "small in mind" thing. No one makes me feel small, never have, never will. Not too sharp but not a dummy either. Have a degree in Business Administration and retired from the Dept. of Labor as a Compliance Officer.

Now, I to am tired of the bickering, slanderous comments, defamation of character, etc., believe me, don't believe there is a person who has been hit with it more than myself. Talk about convincing, they managed to have most of my family do their tap dance on my head. Figure that's okay was ready to go anyway. But, it was just about at that point that our Security Guards began guarding the front doors and the Chairs door. Not blind, not stupid. Those are the facts.

This is not meant to slander anyone, however, believe a security guard is that, a security guard, not acting like a bodyguard.

Ms. Jarvis;
Yes, Justin was hired part-time initially, but when I got the activated, he was offered full-time at the beginning of 2011, more so by the former business manager, to take over the security program and to get the SORNA program up and going. His qualifications for the USMS was validated recently, not when he worked at the Juvenile Bureau although his qualifications are similar to then.
And yes, I was not there when you were denied access and I will only speak from what I was told from him. You may have been denied access but to say that those front doors were locked is not the truth. Did you physically try to open the doors? And yes, I know who his direct supervisor is, but to say that he is her actual bodyguard is a little far fetched in my opinion. I have yet to see them guard the chairman's door, but if that's the case, I cannot speak on that incident. I know that my husbands responsibilities are more than what many see, especially those with a negative intent. He is there to maintain order and to prevent a hostile work environment, whether it be throuh a physical presence or following written procedures. He prides himself on maintaining professiolism and keeping everyone safe. My main reason for response was not to get into a verbal altercation, but to simply state that I do not appreciate the indirect snide remarks made towards my husbands and his ability to do his job. Whether its statement about getting them segways like a mall cop or the topic of this whole feed, do not insult mine or my husbands intelligence and I will offer the same in return.

Respectfully,
Louise Smith

Ms. Smith, the former Business Manager did not act on her own, this was at the directive of the Chairman. You as his wife know his qualifications as you should. I don't question his qualifications to be a Security Guard, however, have an idea what Security Guards do and for the past year and a half plus the actions I and others have seen are not Security Guard actions, especially for a Tribe and its members.

Now about the doors not being locked and did I or we physically try to open them, no, both your husband and Jimmy Smith were sitting outside, directly in front of the doors and told us we could not go in. Are we physically going to try to muscle our way in, I think not. Your husband tells you differently, that's fine. We all, the five Council Members and both Security Guards know better. And please do not speak to me about "negative intent", as Council Members we had every right to be there and as Security Guards for the Caddo Nation they did not have the right to deny us access.

As for "indirect snide remarks made towards my husbands and his ability to do his job", there is no doubt he is capable and is probably qualified to be a Security Guard, however, that is not the actions we have seen in the past year and a half to two years.

This is not written to insult yours or your husbands intelligence, these are the facts as I have seen them.

You were not there when these things happened, I and others were. Do not insult our intelligence. End of the conversation on this matter. Enough said.

Respectfully,
Laura Jarvis

Ms Jarvis,
First, I did not say that the Business Manager acted on her own! I know directives come from higher up, and just as the Business Manager was following directives, so was the Security Team to deny access to those listed on that day. I would also be interested, as I am sure Justin would be as well, to know what actions are not "Security Guard" actions.
As far as the locked front doors are concerned, I simply pointed out that if you did not physically attempt to open the doors, how can you state they were locked. My husband has not told me any different on the situation with the exception of the doors NOT being locked.
I have said all that I wanted to say, if you have any further questions, comments or concerns, please email me directly at louise.a.smith20.mil@mail.com

Have a wonderful day!
Respectfully,
Louise Smith

As stated above, enough said on this matter.