Welcome to the Caddo Connection

This forum was created to allow Caddo members to ask questions, network, and engage in general discussion regarding the Caddo Nation.

The forum administrator reserves the right to delete inappropriate posts and to ban abusers from this site.

Welcome to the Caddo Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another Anadarko Daily News thing - Brenda Shemayme Edwards

First paragraph BOLD - Don't or can't do bold.

Again, assume some of you will want to ask questions or make comments.

First of all, I want to hank our Caddo people for allowing me to represent them as Chairman of the Caddo Nation for the past four years.

I am running for re-election and am once again asking for your support in this endeavor. For those of you who do not know me, I am Brenda Shemayme Edwards, a full blood Caddo. I am the daughter of the late Roscoe and Etta (Whitebead) Shemayme. My late grandparents are John and Jenny Shemayme and Joseph and Maud (Miller) Whitebead, all original Caddo allottees.

I was raised in Lookeba, Oklahoma, within Caddo County, and within the tradition of our Caddo people. I was raised to respect my elders, know my relatives, respect our native church, our traditions, and take pride in being Caddo.

My oath of office states: "I solemnly affirm that I will carry out faithfully and impartially all duties of my office to the best of my ability and will promote and protect the best interest of the Caddo Indian Tribe in accordance with the tribal constitution and bylaws".

I have promoted the Caddo Nation on local and national levels. I was among 12 tribal leaders selected to represent all tribal nations at the first Tribal Leaders Meeting held with President Obama. We can truly say that on that historic date, the Caddo Nation met Government to Government.

I have protected the best interests of the Caddo Nation and I have worked diligently throughout my four years as your tribal leader. As a result of that, the Caddo nation is strong and we have a stable government. I have proven to our members that through my leadership we can and have moved forward. We have prevailed and we continue to move forward despite those that have tried to hold us back.

During the past four years I have been instrumental in implementing positive changes for our Caddo people. We have seen growth in our housing assistance, provided more assistance through our programs services, improved health services and facilities, improved communication outlets, just to name a few.

2013 will prove to be an even more successful year for us. We have demonstrated our stability as a Nation, especially throughout the last two years. New partnerships and business ventures are once again at our table and we are optimistic that these opportunities will prove successful the Caddo Nation.

I want to again express my sincere gratitude for allowing me to serve you as the Chairman of the Caddo nation. It has truly be a privilege to have been elected Chairman of the Caddo Nation and an honor I have never taken for granted.

I am respectfully requesting the opportunity, the honor, and the privilege to be re-elected Chairman of the Caddo nation on July 13, 2013.

Re: Another Anadarko Daily News thing - Brenda Shemayme Edwards

Guess my first comment is "No, the Caddo Nation has not done well under your leadership, have to have it before you can utilize it".

Then would say you held one meeting with yourself, Ann Donaghey and Elouise Harjo present, saying each time "Todd Goodman and Marilyn Threlkeld were out of the room". Have minutes to this meeting. They were nowhere on the Complex grounds and you knew it. We had already met, had our meeting and left. It was at this meeting, with like 19-20 motions, you put Carla Guy on as Treasurer, Kenny Poindexter as OKC Rep, Marie Nestell, Charlotte Bentley on the Election Board, there were people for a Hearing Board etc.

How bright are you to think these were legal moves, with three Council Members making and passing these motions. And you are asking to be re-elected. Voted for you the first time, bad, bad, bad mistake. Not even LaRue Parker has done what you have done to this tribe. There is not one tribe within the State of Oklahoma or the surrounding area that isn't looking at the Caddo Tribe with pity and this "you have done".

This was after you and your followers, at the time, 10 Butlers and their kids included, held an illegal recall on Jennifer Reeder, 68 days after receiving the recall petition and the pitiful part was "none " of them had the foggiest idea they were big time violating the Constitution. Would think you the Chair would have known, but not sure, didn't see a lot going on upstairs at any point, except to get that almighty $20 an hour whether you were there or not and understand after you got the five Council out, illegally, you were and are rarely there.

Now gotta say, you and crew did a fantastic job at working with and giving Marie Nestell and Connie Carey all the minutes, Resolutions, etc. ready for Diana Woodward and Carla Guy to do their thing that I had been seated illegally since 2010. Hey, if I have been, so has yourself, Shirley French, Robert McLemore, Kenny Poindexter, etc., all were sworn in by LaRue Parker.

However, it worked, the 10 Butlers and their kids, along with what few others, other than employees, you pay them, you could come up with, you had a 30-0-0 vote that I had been on the Council illegal since 2010.

Believe I'm gonna close for now but not before saying "you have done nothing for the Caddo Tribe but receive your $20 an hour whether you are there or not and violate the Constitution as if it did not exist.

Will respond with my comments on other things later.

Re: Another Anadarko Daily News thing - Brenda Shemayme Edwards

As far as meeting with President Obama, heard from some of the other Indian Tribes there you sat there with your head down not knowing what to say or ask. No, would not say that is government to government, would say it was government to insignificant. Don't know how to say it any other way.

And in your ad you state the Housing is doing great. That definitely is no thanks to you. You never even came to meetings until Reggie Wassana was hired. To date, any and everything we have is because of Luke Toyebo. Cannot believe you guys now have to go to Oklahoma City to discuss Housing business. Then you don't stay at the meeting, you and crew are out getting your pictures taken with someone you consider important. Do you not know that you are who you are and will never be more than that. Heck, even I know that. Understand Reggie worked for the C&A's. Also heard he was hired the way your husband was hired, because you and Gina made the choice as to who was the most qualified. IS THIS WHY YOU ALL OF A SUDDEN GOT INVOLVED IN HOUSING? The Building for the Elders, Luke brought in. The homes at Halfmoon Circle, Luke brought in. YOU HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW WELL THE HOUSING IS GOING . Hopefully, you won't jinx what he has accomplished so far.

Enough for now.